Powering Powersoft Amplifiera

PAHS

I am considering upgrading my current amplifiers from MC2 to Powersoft after hearing my rig run with them, in my view there is a noticeable difference in sound quality. However I’ll be upgrading to 2 X K3 and 2 K8 to run my rig, but my question is how I mains power them. I see a lot of big rigs powered by 16A, 32A input supplies, such as c-form inputs but how does this differ when you are in a normal club which has the standard ring main, or doesn’t it make any difference? What is the best way to power them?

I see a lot of big rigs powered by 16A, 32A input supplies, such as c-form inputs but how does this differ when you are in a normal club which has the standard ring main,

I'd try to keep the supply to each amp separate (i.e. easy to grab without having to dive inside a rack). That way you can split the rig over different sockets/supplies and hopefully avoid overload any one ring main.

It might be worth adding a small standalone distro that can power them all together from a single 32amp CEEform, but don't set things up in such a way that it's the only option.

Powercon panels can be a nice compact way of enabling amps to combine onto one supply, or take independent feeds.

Say a 32/1 to 4 powercon outlet distro, then a panel with 4 powercon inlets. Keep 4 powercon links and 4 13-powercons with the rack and you've got a lot of flexibility.

Edited by J Pearce

I'd try to keep the supply to each amp separate (i.e. easy to grab without having to dive inside a rack). That way you can split the rig over different sockets/supplies and hopefully avoid overload any one ring main.

It might be worth adding a small standalone distro that can power them all together from a single 32amp CEEform, but don't set things up in such a way that it's the only option.

Absolutely - keep it simple. And as hippy suggests, don't power everything up together. Allowing for about 70% amplifier efficiency you would need to blast your punters with 3kW of continuous sine wave to blow a 13A fuse, though it's always worth checking what size MCB is feeding your socket(s)..

As a general rule, if you're bringing a rack of big amplifiers into a venue that only has RFCs AND you intend to draw beyond the capability of a couple of 13A outlets, either (a) you've got too much rig for the gig or (b) the rig is incredibly inefficient. Most venues of any reasonable size will have a 32A or 63A power on IEC60309 connectors tucked away somewhere.

Many rigs can be run from a 13a socket once the switch on surges are staggered, two sockets should give you 20A which should be enough for the sort of venue that supplies power on domestic sockets.

Get yourself a lead or two with a 13A plug and socket AND an ammeter, see what you really use.

It's usually easy to fit all kit with 13a plugs then make a suitable distro that compliantly takes 32A or 63A and splits it between the kit. Starts with a sheet of board with sockets on goes on past flightcased distro with wheels and logging metering and Earth leakage monitoring.

Thank you all for your replies. So is it better to get a 32 amp distro and run everything through that, powering the amps up individually, and connect a 13a plug to a cee-form connection to provide the power, is that we’re saying? I just want to be clear and safe.

Thank you all

Thank you all for your replies. So is it better to get a 32 amp distro and run everything through that, powering the amps up individually, and connect a 13a plug to a cee-form connection to provide the power, is that we're saying? I just want to be clear and safe.

If you are running from a 13A socket then a 32A distro is no better, & a lot more expensive, than a 4-way trailing socket. If you may be going into spaces that have a 32A outlet, then, yes, using a distro would give you a more secure power source, but it probably won't be anywhere near where you want to set up, so you'll need a 32A extension cable as well.

E2A: When running a lot of gear at a venue, regardless of the current draw, I always try to split my load across at least 2 13A outlets, to give a bit of redundancy. In your case I would split the amps between sockets, so you wouldn't lose everything if a fuse died.

Edited by sandall

If I don't connect the amps to the speakers and run a sine wave through the system at full power, and connect it to a power meter will this be a good representation on how much power I would use at full output?

No, having disconnected the load, the amp will not be asked to supply any current, thus it's actual power use will be near zero even though you've put a full strength signal though it.