RDM/DMX testers.

bigclive

The DMX cat is great for benching fixtures, with its large library and easy to use app. For grabbing a tester to fix an onstage problem the swisson wins out for its ruggedness, simplicity and speed, it’s a one box solution that doesn’t need a phone to connect, or turn arounds to monitor DMX input. They are different tools for different jobs, each with their own specialty. The chauvet rdm2go gets positive feedback from those that have it, however one moan I’ve heard is the rechargeable battery. You can always grab a new pp3 (from the lamp check on your art rack perhaps?) and keep going with the swisson, where as the chauvet needs to be recharged, probably just when you need it most

The RDM2go recharging thing can be a bit of a pain if you don't keep on top of it. But at least it does boot while on charge meaning that on a bench the unit can carry on being used as a cable tester or whatever just fine.

James is right though, it depends what you want it for. I have been using the DMXCat in the workshop and for testing the RDM functionality of firmware I am working on and it's great for that, but it takes a couple of minutes to set up and get the app running and phone connected to it. In a rushed on stage problem finding situation something self contained would probably be better.

James is right though, it depends what you want it for. I have been using the DMXCat in the workshop and for testing the RDM functionality of firmware I am working on and it's great for that, but it takes a couple of minutes to set up and get the app running and phone connected to it. In a rushed on stage problem finding situation something self contained would probably be better.

And presumably can't be used as a cable checker...? This function, albeit simple, kinda makes a one-box solution more attractive for me.

Having used both the Swisson and the Chauvet, the former is a nice bit of kit and on the face of it has more buttons which makes it slightly easier to navigate - but only a little bit. Not sure what the Swisson comes with initially, but the RDM2Go does come in a handy belt pouch with XL3 adaptors.

E2A: It seems they both do.

Edited by indyld

And presumably can't be used as a cable checker...?

Not as an end-to-end one, no, as it only has one XLR connector. I would not find that a particularly useful feature on stage to find a DMX fault though, I'd be looking for a valid DMX signal coming out of the end of the cable, which it can test for.

And presumably can't be used as a cable checker...?

Not as an end-to-end one, no, as it only has one XLR connector. I would not find that a particularly useful feature on stage to find a DMX fault though, I'd be looking for a valid DMX signal coming out of the end of the cable, which it can test for.

True, but for someone also working in prep and de-prep being able to bang through 100 cables easily is a consideration. Plus for XLR3 audio and even other audio cables with different jumpers.

Most DMX 'faults' on a production site aren't actually DMX faults anyway - we've spent years on site without any form of tester.

It comes down to if the end user plans to spend more time sniffing DMX, working with RDM, testing cables, or using it to test a wide variety of inputs, outputs and using it to generate DMX to do functional tests on kit. I definitely wouldn't want to mess about with the Cat for most of the stuff I do. Sometimes by phone backlight plays up and I can't see the screen! :)

Edited by indyld

True, but for someone also working in prep and de-prep being able to bang through 100 cables easily is a consideration. Plus for XLR3 audio and even other audio cables with different jumpers.

I would argue that isn't a job for an expensive tester though, buy one of those behringer test things.

I agree that I rarely use a DMX tester on a gig, usually because in the time taken to go get it and set it up, you can swap out or patch round the problem. I have used one on installs a few times.