13amp plugs, 16amp plugs on stage

Newguy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't argue that such products are available, but I'd be very interested to see the paperwork/certification to justify how they conform to the basic principles of overload protection. As mentioned by myself and a few others in earlier replies, such items are perfectly ok 99% of the time, when used by skilled people in carefully known and calculated conditions, but in certain circumstances they allow dangerous (overload) conditions to go undetected.

If the power supplied from a 16 or 32 amp socket is transmitted through a 13A connector then whatever follows downstream is limited to the current rating of the fitted fuse but a maximum of 13 amps. If the 13a fused connection is replaced by anything else then suitable current protection is still needed -along with rated cable.

I'd like to see a tripping characteristic comparison for BS1363 13A, BS3036 15A and BS60898 B16

3036 and 60898 are in appendix 3 of BS7671.

1362 fuse curves seem to be quite widely available on google under "bs 1362 tripping characteristics" and then images... there's a number of results that come directly from BS1362.

I'd like to see a tripping characteristic comparison for BS1363 13A, BS3036 15A and BS60898 B16

3036 and 60898 are in appendix 3 of BS7671.

1362 fuse curves seem to be quite widely available on google under "bs 1362 tripping characteristics" and then images... there's a number of results that come directly from BS1362.

Ah yes, silly me...

A 15A BS3036 (what I guess protected 15A sockets when they were designed) can pass about 27A all day long

A 13A BS1362 can pass about 21A all day long

A 16A BS60898 can pass about 23A all day long

(I've long wondered whether it was reasonable to suggest that an unfused 13A 4-way shouldn't have a 16A plug)

For their 4x 10A dimmer packs, rather than using MCBs, Green Ginger used to specify 7A BS1362 fuses from RS, on the assumption that they were good for around 10A.

Another factor, I suspect, is that a lot of the cheaply manufactured leads coming will not have been rigorously checked against BS1362. It might be interesting to do some real world tests and see how they actually perform.

Maybe when Brexit completes in whatever form the new testing system will revert to more like the old BS system?

I suspect only if it's the hardest of no-deal Brexits, because in any other scenario we'll be largely harmonised with the rest of Europe anyway. (An example in the news today being the new speed limiting technology in cars, the UK have already agreed to match European standards no matter what)

It would be nice to have a supplementary standard that exceeds the European ones, where it matters. This seems to be what Germany do with TUV.

CE never really worked anyway as nothing was ever checked for anything other than printing.

Agreed - it seems to be a complete waste of time. (And stickers)

CE never really worked anyway as nothing was ever checked for anything other than printing.

Agreed - it seems to be a complete waste of time. (And stickers)

That isn't quite true, it basically required someone to complain about an item, investigation and checking would then be carried out. I know of a case where someone's product was (probably maliciously) reported by a competitor which resulted in a major investigation by trading standards into CE compliance.

There is/was no routine checking programme that I know of.

Archived