Latex sheet and paint for same.

Looking at an option for Christmas Carol in a couple of months - been asked about doing the front door to Scrooge's place with a face through the door with a latex sheet that would mould to the performer's face when pressed through - you know the sort of thing.

So two questions immediately spring to mind - so I can effectively Google the product, does it have a specific name or brand name?

And as I'd need to be painting it to match the door, what sort of paint is viable that will stretch along with the latex? I can't think of many that would be suitable as they'd be too thick & negate the flexi-propertoes drastically.

Spray paint perhaps?

Over the summer I worked on a show where some dancers achieved a similar effect using a large piece of what I would describe as 'Spandex'.

Of course - Spandex would be the one. Though the stretched tights idea might work of course on a budget :)

So on to paint....?

:)

So on to paint....?

You might be able to use liquid fabric dye.

True - the challenge will be to match the fabric colour to the door itself... :o

Sounds like you need a good wardrobe person...!

I’m sure you’ll have it in mind, but for the benefit of anyone else who drags this topic up in the future, if you do go down the latex route, make sure you check about allergies for whoever is ‘the face’!

Coat the whole door in the material then it colourmatches leave the right window in the woodwork to put a face through.

OK - that's JUST the sort of thing that's so flipping obvious it was amazing I hadn't thunk it :D

Another thing to think about is the makeup that "the face" will be wearing. It will smudge / come off and generally be problematic. There's an illusion (the shadow box) that utilises a similar effect - performer will usually use a mask rather than their own face for this reason.

Painting on to stretch fabrics is tricky and rarely lasts. The way it’s normally done in my industry is to use dyed stretch fabric in approx the right colour and use good quality marker pens to draw in the detail. You will need to cover the entire door with stretch fabric and as others have pointed out there’s many issues with regards to what you push through with - making a simple puppet out of a face mask that you push in to the Lycra is more likely to last and produce a realistic effect to the viewing audience than a real sweaty face could, ironically.

Painting on to stretch fabrics is tricky and rarely lasts. The way it's normally done in my industry is to use dyed stretch fabric in approx the right colour and use good quality marker pens to draw in the detail. You will need to cover the entire door with stretch fabric and as others have pointed out there's many issues with regards to what you push through with - making a simple puppet out of a face mask that you push in to the Lycra is more likely to last and produce a realistic effect to the viewing audience than a real sweaty face could, ironically.

The idea of a mannequin head instead of the performer has I believe already been tabled :)

Archived