Cheap Md Players

richard

>Disclaimer - before I worked for the BBC I was a saucepan salesman for the JLP - If you checked my bloodstream I probably still have a bit of green blood left... <

Never mind all that - tell us about the saucepans. When it comes to non stick, which would you recommend? Can you still get discounts on Le Creuset?

I love the JL kitchen department - I would even consider getting married just to have a wedding list there.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never mind all that - tell us about the saucepans. When it comes to non stick, which would you recommend? Can you still get discounts on Le Creuset?

I love the JL kitchen department - I would even consider getting married just to have a wedding list there.

Shouldn't this now be in the props section?

Obviously all the fanatical "off topic" mods are away at the moment. What with this thread and the ramblings about mint and raspberry flavored coke over in the (otherwise rather heated) C venues thread, it's all very relaxed around here at the moment.

Must be a summer thing. Normal service will be resumed shortly. :(

Trust me you don't know the amount of random infor I know about saucepans :-(

Needless to say if you want non stick you MUST use PLASTIC impliments for stiring AND SERVING there are SO many people that have bought loverly Meyer, Jonelle, Le Creuset saucepans and have wrecked the non stick within five uears where it would have lasted five times that if they had looked after it well.

I don't use a non stick frying pan for that reason BTW.

You want a nice iron one (or carbon steel if you are using a wok) and keep it well seasoned and it will be more non stick than most non stick pans.

Seasoning -heat up the pan, with a little oil in the bottom,

Spread the oil out so that it coats the inside of the pan/wok.

When it's hot CAREFULLY pour cold/hot water into the pan with no detergent to rinse out the oil/ alow to cool and repeat say three times.

Make sure you add a little oil to the pan before you use it to cook with and at the end of cooking DON'T WASH it using detergent - that will destroy the patina you have carefuly built up. Either wipe out with kitchen towle or rince under running water.

No I can't get dicount on LeCreuset any more but due to John Lewis' Undersale policy - you will find that the prices on the shelves change to encoumpas all other seller's sales or discounts and JL don't mention this on the price tickets.

What a I doing - It's been two years and I automaticaly go on autopilot sales mode. Ah well I assume that the moderators will remove this as being too comercial. :(

It was a good for a few years. I'd work all day at JL - and work all night on gigs or club nights. Great fun :-) Oh and on Non JL Shift days I'd work in a small TV studio doing camera work for media training clients. Holding down 3 jobs was a laugh - pity I can't remember too much of it (Free caffine in pint glases behind the bar all night) I'm sure I must have averaged 4-6 pints a night.

Never mind all that - tell us about the saucepans.  When it comes to non stick, which would you recommend?

Ikea frying pans are coated with Silverstone non-stick, top of the range non-stick as used by Le Creuset. Great performance for less than a tenner - bargain!!

Ikea frying pans are coated with Silverstone non-stick, as used by Le Creuset. Great performance for less than a tenner - bargain!!

Shouldn't get into this but <anorac>

No mater what coating is put on a pan - the life expectancy is dependent on it's use/ abuse/ and the pan itself

You want a nice thick even base for good heat distribution and no hot spots that can cause any non-stick surface to blister and come off. Blistering non-stick when overheated is a common problem with some o0f the cheeper non-stick pans.

Also the

top of the range non-stick
comment is inacurate

The Silverstone coating is produced by Dupont.

The hierarchy of coatings goes as follows. (In order of Quality)

Teflon

Silverstone (*1)

Silverstone Select (*2)

Platinum

Platinum Pro

Autograph

(*1) Silverstone has recently been re-branded as Teflon Xtra

(*2) Silverstone Select has recently been re-branded as Teflon Select

With the autograph coating you can - and I have seen it done scratch it - cut it - score it and it will not peel, flake or blister and in time the pan can develop a patina that covers up the scratch to a certain extent.

I have also seen demonstrators do things like boil milk or chees dry in the bottom of the pan coated with autograph so that there is nothing but a crusty black residue and watched it come off with no water in a plain kitchen towel.

</anorac>

do yourself a favor and go to john lewis there you get the warrenty for free and the goods are often cheaper too.

How would you rate richer sounds for their warrenty? They offer a loan machine and your money back if you dont use it ect. Think its also pretty cheap.

Also, are there prices realy any better (if they dont try and sell the cambridge audio alternative, or £10/meter cables)?

No mater what coating is put on a pan - the life expectancy is dependent on it's use/ abuse/ and the pan itself

And, as any chef will tell you, spending more on your pans when you first buy them will save you money in the long-term, and make life a helluva lot easier for yourself.

N.

Picking up on Tom's point about OT postings not being policed by moderators, this does create a nicer atmosphere than some forums, eg someone got flamed by a moderator on the live audio board for discussing the implications of an "act using a row of three coin op tumble driers as part of his backline" as not being on topic enough

If I could find it I would link to it but I supose the moderators there deleted it.

this is very theatre realated aint any of you heard of Autograph sales?

As for richer sounds ive used them a few times however you have to be a bit crafty.They often advertise stuff at realy good prices in a certain hifi mag,but you have to take the advert with you to get the special price.So you turn up at the shop with the mag and ask for the item at the price advertised,salesman will either claim there out of stock but have something simaler but more expensive avaliable,or disapeer for 10 minutes olny to return and inform you theve olny got the display model and theres no box,manual remote control ect so the manager wont let them sell it :angry: However if you keep the mag hidden miraclessly there in stock at the full price ,once hes put the sale through, pull out the magazine and point out the offer price,result one very pissed off salesman,and one happy hippy.

do yourself a favor and go to john lewis there you get the warrenty for free and the goods are often cheaper too.

How would you rate richer sounds for their warrenty? They offer a loan machine and your money back if you dont use it ect. Think its also pretty cheap.

Also, are there prices realy any better (if they dont try and sell the cambridge audio alternative, or £10/meter cables)?

in order then: I have nto used richer sounds much but I have heard bioth good adn bad things, I dont know anbout the warenty but I know that the "deals" advertised are often not much mor3e than a trick to get you into the store.....

and yes the prices are better than where I worked, the support is better and the sales staff know more about what they are selling. in my former place of employment the full time staff wnet on a course once and then watched a vidio every 3 years or so as a refresher... maybe its just me but if I did that now in 2 years I would not have a clue what anything did, other than the fact that I made a point of using every item and readign all the blurb with it

I think you'll find the warranty is for "domestic use only"; they won't cough if your MD has been in pause mode for 8 hrs a day, or whatever. :angry:

How would you rate richer sounds for their warrenty?

When I was starting out I bought a reduced 2nd hand 4U Dual CD player from their semi-pro / DJ range that they seemed to be winding down. They gave me 3 months warenty and it failed from the start. :-(

So they took it - they couldn't give me a similar as a loan unit (winding the range down) but lent me a decent HiFi one and I got the call about a month later to say it was fixed.

Unfortunatly about a month after the warrenty expired the other side of the CD player failed.

Does anyone know what is wrong with a CD player that always plays at the slowest speed of the vary speed (irrespective of if it is in vary speed mode or how much vary speed is applied!!) and it often doesn't recognise disks.

James

Archived