Suggestions for LED Movers for Church Install

Eeen

We used to have regular movers for schools posts where somebody was keen to have them, and the nay sayers spoke doom and gloom. The youngsters disagreed. However so many times since then I've been into schools, colleges and small theatres with lots of technical kit that simply doesn't get used because of the technology gap between those who run things and those who love technology. How many times do you see thing like Magicq exec screens with maybe 6 different buttons - the ONLY ones that get used, and worse, kit that is out of action because of small tiny faults, often caused by blocked fans and heat.

If you spend 6 grand on a single mover, it is less reliable than the twenty quid stereo you bought from Currys. Servicing costs are like cars - significant, and more expensive as the lights get more expensive. My own solution, started quite a while ago now, is to buy cheap, buy extra, and throw them away when they need more than basic cleaning. Some organisations just cannot get their heads around that approach.

Thanks all for a lot of valid points, ill quote for a couple of options and see which way they would like to go, I understand everyones going to have a different point of view, and all opinions are valid in some way thats why I asked your opinions... ill let you kn ow which way the client choose and move on from there.

thanks all.

Buy cheap movers , spend a bit extra on silent cooling fans

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60mm-6cm-Silent-Fan-DC-12V-2Pin-Brushless-PC-Computer-CPU-Case-Cooling-Cooler/222329771883?hash=item33c3e3176b%3Ag%3AbzsAAOSwEzxYPUn0&_sacat=0&_nkw=12volt+fan+silent&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

most movers use cheap fans that are noisy, so a simple swop out will make all the difference.

Hi

Many interesting responses there. While there is a lot of detail messing from the query, I think the main issue is where will these lights be rigged. If they are out of reach, then you could well need to go for the LED mover option. The Chauvet Rogue 1 or 2 (depending on the size of the venue) are great fixtures as are Showtec Infinity models and also the ProDiamond or ProStark models from AC Entertainment. However, noise can be an issue with all of these, as well as the need for a decent control desk, and an experienced programmer. In one of the venues where I have volunteered in the past, there is a balcony which extends on both sides towards the front and from which I could set up stands with any combination of fixed or moving lights. If this arrangement is available to you I would suggest to go with something like Prolights StudioCOBs from AC Entertainment. These are much more cost effective and you can easily redirect them as the need arises. Good luck with the decision.

DNT

I am involved in the tech side of a church in Liverpool. Our services are a lot louder than a lot of churches, so the noise level of our movers isn't really an issue - our ceilings are also really high. We use Rogue R2 Wash from Chauvet and I have to say I am largely happy with them. They are easy to use, they are reliable, and they are reasonably powerful. The downside is that they are RGB, rather than RGBW so the white produced from the LED is rubbish - but there is a colour wheel to compensate. I would suggest a mix of wash and profile if you can stretch to the budget.

Happy to chat in more detail if you want a church perspective particularly.

We use Rogue R2 Wash from Chauvet and I have to say I am largely happy with them. They are easy to use, they are reliable, and they are reasonably powerful. The downside is that they are RGB, rather than RGBW so the white produced from the LED is rubbish - but there is a colour wheel to compensate. I would suggest a mix of wash and profile if you can stretch to the budget.

Um, I'm sure that the R2 wash are RGBW: https://www.chauvetprofessional.com/products/rogue-r2-wash/

Do you have it in the wrong mode or something? Perhaps your desk personality isn't quite right.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple have already been suggested. Chauvet are making some cracking units at the moment, and so are some of the other, lesser known manufacturers. And lets face it, more often than not, it all comes down to budget.

Some options here;

Chauvet Rouge R1 Wash - A fantastic unit, offering 7 x 15W RGBW quad LED chips. A zoom of 11° - 48°.

https://www.chauvetprofessional.eu/products/rogue-r1-wash/

Chauvet Rogue R2 Wash - The bigger brother to the R1 wash. 12 additional quad LED chips and 1° wider zoom. It does offer basic pixel mapping features but this is certainly something you will probably not utilise.

https://www.chauvetprofessional.eu/products/rogue-r2-wash/

There are other Chauvet units such as the R3 and the MK2 wash, but in most instances the R2 wash will be the best option for your church.

Prolights have a couple of versions too...

The Prolights Diamond 7 - Exactly the same specifications as the R1 Wash above, albeit with a slightly narrower and wider zoom range of 6° - 66°.

https://www.musiclights.it/product/DIAMOND7

And of course, one of its bigger brothers, the Diamond 19 - 12 additional RGBW chips and the same zoom range.

https://www.musiclights.it/product/DIAMOND19TW

Of course, those specifications are all on paper and as I have recently just found out through a shoot-out of my own, not always accurate.

If you would like a demo of any of those products, drop me a line and I'll be more than happy to help.

The trouble is that one of these costs £1200+ You can pick up zoom 7 x 15W unbranded Chinese movers for just over £200 each. If you buy one or two to keep as spares, just in case, you can get a pile for the price of one Chauvet - which is already not an expensive brand. So your budget can create amazing amounts of light from a lot more fixtures for the budget. Plus - the spares could, if you wanted be used, just knowing at some point you will go down in number. Then you probably spend the repair budget on a bunch more.

Buying with a full warranty is what many people need, but you get less lights, and a bucket load always look better than 2 or 4. We really are looking at at least 6 times as many - price for price. A church isn't going to abuse them, and I'd even guess that most failures would be heat related when the fans get clogged up with dust.

Though a big issue with all the cheap led movers I’ve come across is fan noise. Chauvet kit is fairly well behaved in this respect.

Not an issue for amplified gigs, but possibly an issue for a church, and definitely an issue for theatre.

Archived