Most Stupid Request......

Fiona

From get in on a touring show.

Tech manager - Can we stop unloading the truck the stage is full. Can we sort out where the set is to go to clear some space up?

Tour manager - OK lets just fly all of this set out then we can work on the rest.

Tech manager - Um....

Tour manager - What is your flymans name and where is he?

Tech manager - We don't have a flyman or facilities flying for scenery.

Tour manager - Um............

Tech manager - Yes indeed.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought of another one. Not really a request more of a comment.

Working on a film project on location. Myself and a driver are asked to go to a hire centre to collect a scaff tower for the next days filming.

Production assistant hands us van keys and a map. ' It's a 5 metre high tower you need to collect. I hope it comes apart so you can get it into the van, maybe I should have checked that when I booked it!'

From a ex-member of staff:

Him: Hi guys. Ive got a great new job working on the (Large event) and wondered if you lot could do this tent that I've failed to get any technical stuff for. For free. And it'll be a nightmare. And outside. And it needs lighting sound and video. Did I mention it was outside? And all your kit is installed in a venue. And last time you did do something for me while I worked at your place I shouted and was generally rude the whole time. Sounds great, doesn't it?

Me: *click*

My favourite comment was from a harrassed director who couldn't hear the chorus in an amateur musical. Pointing to the float mics he asked "how wide do these things pick up?". I replied "About 100 degrees". "That's no use to me" he barked back, "what's that in feet and inches?". :stagecrew:

I always used to find it mildly amusing that the short-lived Strand Leko of a few years ago had "Not for domestic use" printed in green letters on the side of the yoke. Shame, I'd have loved to have put a couple in my bathroom ...

I worked with a guy who rescued a load of 263's from a skip somewhere and was polishing them up to use a "feature" lights in his flat. and yes that was lights not heaters....

Seen in a shop on Upper Street, N1 not that long ago - shiny pattern 123s and older stuff for sale to Islington trendys. I presume rewired for domestic use.... also knew someone once (stage manager, not lampie) who collected all the old blown T1s out of our then state of the art patt 123s and 23s, cut the cap off with a glasscutter, mounted an sbc lampholder and pygmy on a varnished bit of wood, used the T1 globe as a lampshade and sold 'em down the market.

I have worked on a project before where the radio mic transceivers (sp?) were not receiving any signals from the radio mics themselves. When asked to go and find out why, I discovered the actors who had the radio mics with them weren't even in the same building as we were.

• 2 weeks later...

Not meant as a snipe at electricians (much) but surely the Morecambe and Wise story is known? (Showing my age, perhaps)

Young chief electrician at a small provincial theatre unaccustomed to star turns asks with trepidation at Monday afternoon bandcall -

"Mr. Morecambe, how would you like your lighting, sir?"

Straightening his specs. and looking offstage (as he did) he uttered the immortal line, "On, please son, definitely on", and strode off in search of a cup of tea.

I am not sure who was the stupid one..........but it shows that without 'the talent', we may as well all go home, so don't moan too much, they keep us in work!

Having sat in the centre of town doing sound for a crappy wild west themed weekend, I hurried back to my local theatre... bout ten mins from where I was... with all the kit, and to set up for the glenn miller tribute band. by this time I wass seriously pi :blink: :angry: ed off, slightly sunburnt and seriously dehydrated!

the boss guy from the band came over and asked if we could add some midi verb in, and me being a lampie, but no a bit of sound... and knew fine well the midiverb unit was sitting at the back of the store cupboard behide a load of sh :unsure: te... I replied (in my usual cheeky ba :angry: :( :unsure: rd style)

"sorry mate, had a gig on this afternoon... I think I used all the reverb up"

TeeHeeHee

Anyhow... he accepted it as an acceptable excuse... and my boss was happy!!

Archived