Most Stupid Request......

Fiona

My weirdest one is more bizarre than ridiculous...

Panto, mid performance, quiet bit thus time for a cup of tea, get called to prompt corner. Promptly make my way there to find an 11 year-old chorus member with a broken braces and a wire sticking out about an inch from her front teeth! :stagecrew:

Being an electrical bod the SM hoped I could work some magic with my snips, which I did quite successfully!!

Still, craziest request I've had...

Kate

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a dance show, with a real knows nothing but dance teacher.

She asked me to "put some black gel in the square things up there" to darken it down a bit.

I went to the board and turned them off

The teacher asked me why I hadn't put gel in them, but infact turned them off. I gave the reply, take a look at them, well you wanted black. Are they dark enough for you, or should I go with the other shade of black.

Any one else had this (funny) problemn with dancers.

During a long running show which used several medium theatrical flashes per performance I was asked if I could make the pyros less smokie?

Also who has been asked about a phantom reverb? I had one comment for a turn that we needed to do a sound check to tune the reverb because he felt it was a little off key today. The reverb unit was currently sitting on a shelf in a cupboard in another building.

When the turns where asked to sound check the mics they got into a habit of sitting down and singing or wandering the auditorium singing. Strangely enough when it came to the show they weren't sitting down or wandering around the auditoirum for their song and things didn't sound the same to them. So they asked for more sound checks.

I was once in a focus, on a FOH gallery with a profile when the Amdram LD said:

"That's perfect, but it needs to be red, do you have any red bulbs?"

This being the same LD who had said before:

"If any of your bulbs go I'll get some out of my lights in my house"

and

"What colour bulbs do you stock?"

As I remember he also asked for an o/w gel. (I know you can get clear gel, but its not for theatre, its for animators, so no smart-arse comments)

Owen

As I remember he also asked for an o/w gel. (I know you can get clear gel, but its not for theatre, its for animators, so no smart-arse comments)

And Colour-Changers.

Or if you are giving someone a pile of sorted gells for a bar that is pre rigged so they can't make any mistakes.

<tenuous but have heard it suggested>

And Colour-Changers.

Or if you are giving someone a pile of sorted gells for a bar that is pre rigged so they can't make any mistakes.

<tenuous but have heard it suggested>

and the heat diffusion stuff thats ment to make dark colours last a bit longer

"If any of your bulbs go I'll get some out of my lights in my house"

Maybe his living room is lit with source 4's :stagecrew:

I always used to find it mildly amusing that the short-lived Strand Leko of a few years ago had "Not for domestic use" printed in green letters on the side of the yoke. Shame, I'd have loved to have put a couple in my bathroom ... :stagecrew:

I always used to find it mildly amusing that the short-lived Strand Leko of a few years ago had "Not for domestic use" printed in green letters on the side of the yoke. Shame, I'd have loved to have put a couple in my bathroom ...

I worked with a guy who rescued a load of 263's from a skip somewhere and was polishing them up to use a "feature" lights in his flat. and yes that was lights not heaters....

And there is me trying to decide if I should go for domestic dimmers or cheapo 4x5A import install DMX ones for my living room re-decoration.... (price is not much more) well Ish.....

Guest lightnix

Snippet of backstage conversation reported from a recent conference...

Client: So what's your job on this conference ?

Lampie: I'm on the lighting crew.

Client: Really ? Gosh, I bet that's interesting.

Lampie: It has it's moments. I'm off to Paris for a fortnight next week.

Client: Really ? Wow, fantastic ! So tell me, is this all your own equipment ?

Lampie: No, it comes from a hire company, who also book the crew.

Client: Oh, I see... Um... Do they send out spare parts for the lighting, in case something goes wrong ?

Lampie: Yes some, enough to cope with everyday emergencies. They have a 24 hour emergency hotline for really serious problems. We have a couple of spare lights, lots of extra colours, connectors, fuses, bulbs...

Client: Bulbs ?

Lampie: Yes, they tend to be the things that fail the most often, so we carry a few spares of each kind.

Client: Each kind ?

Lampie: Yes.

Client: Oh great. You wouldn't have a spare brake light for a Renault 19, would you ? One of mine needs replacing.

Lampie: Errr... sorry, no.

Archived