13 amp euro adapters

jason5d

You get what you payed for. Problem is that with cheap equipment is that you may not know the true origins of the manufacture. Could it be a dodgy chinesium factory who do not feel that safety is their main concern? I do not want to teach you how to suck eggs but personally I would leave them away from the stage because you will open up a huge can of worms with liability issues etc.

I have come across some which have no earth contact or if they do have an earth then the contacts are cheap crap metal which won't be best at carrying a load.

I would avoid use of cheap adaptors of unknown but probably low quality.

Earth continuity is doubtful as is current carrying capacity, and general robustness. Arguably just about acceptable for a low power and double insulated appliance in an office, but even if confined to such use there is a risk that they will spread and infest other and higher risk areas.

I MIGHT be inclined to reluctantly tolerate the short term use of such adaptors by a touring company from overseas, but any appliance in regular use in a UK venue should in general be fitted with a suitable plug to fit the sockets, 13 amp, 15 amp or 16 amp in most cases.

I had to PAT a bunch of these adaptors fitted on IEC leads a few years back and the Schuko end (the euro plug) was a right-angle one.

This meant that when fitted in the adaptor the only way round that was possible, all the leads had reversed polarity - which is a fail with my tester.

Being IEC leads they were all swapped out for pukka 13A-ended ones.

Chop the plugs and fit something appropriate.

BigClive is the resident expert on these adapters, or "Deathdapters" as he calls them. Check out bigclivedotcom on YouTube.

Chop the plugs and fit something appropriate.

BigClive is the resident expert on these adapters, or "Deathdapters" as he calls them. Check out bigclivedotcom on YouTube.

Spot on.

Chop em and put what you want on. Five minutes of your time and shed loads safer.

Agree with all comments above. I have an adapter lead so I can actually make sure the device works before chopping the plug off, but I would never use the kit in anger without changing to 13A. In answer to a comment above, many venues have hot power in the roof which is 13A and to be honest 13A distro 4 blocks etc is a lot cheaper than 16A or whatever.

As so many things are currently being supplied with shuko plugs, one guy I work with occasionally has gone over to them for his lighting kit. And of course it is compliant under regs as member states and so far he has found them to be reliable & robust enough for road use.

Archived