Be safe .....

kerry davies

had to wear Hi Vis, boots and Hard hat at all times.Fair enough when I'm in the plant rooms
What risk is addressed by wearing hi viz in a plant room?

I was referring more to the Boots, Hat and additionally gloves, goggles etc but yes Hi Vis is important in a plant room too, where else would one wipe ones hands?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was expected to wear a hard hat for replacing lamps in occupied offices, and for measuring water temperatures.

My favourite OTT elfansafety was a school that insisted that the children wear special dark glasses for viewing a solar eclipse ON TELEVISION ! I tried explaining that this was pointless but you cant have too much safety.

And what about the "danger live terminals" notices on voltmeters for school science classes, FSD 5 volts.

I wasted an afternoon being educated about the need for elaborate PPE for inspecting sealed batteries. I pointed out that garage mechanics routinely replace vehicle batteries whilst wearing standard coveralls, or jeans and t shirts, and that railway engineers service large locomotive starter batteries wearing ordinary overalls. I then pointed out that I had a large battery bank at home, under the bed, which I suspect actually shocked the poor little safety elf, more so when I added that I had been known to service the batteries whilst wearing pyjamas.

I was expected to wear a hard hat for replacing lamps in occupied offices, and for measuring water temperatures.

In my experience the greatest necessity for a hard hat in that environment is making a cuppa, or any other activity that involves cupboards with doors on. Safety boots should be worn by those working with, and in close proximity to, office chairs with castors on.

One of the most officious items of required PPE was for a friend, required to wear steel capped boots, but he doesn't have either foot so wearing boots was hard, but STC boots was an absolute and unshakable policy which headbutted the disability policy of the company, leaving the company trying to find boots for a footless person to comply with their own policy towards discrimination.

One of the most officious items of required PPE was for a friend, required to wear steel capped boots, but he doesn't have either foot so wearing boots was hard, but STC boots was an absolute and unshakable policy which headbutted the disability policy of the company, leaving the company trying to find boots for a footless person to comply with their own policy towards discrimination.

My experience of 'feet or leg less' people is the footwear needs to be fairly specific to their needs and adding safety boots, which are usually heavy and/or cumbersome, is likely to affect their balance or gait. This would put them at risk and would be illegal to enforce.

Under such conditions I would have absolutely no qualms in calling HSE for a decision, I can almost hear them rolling around on the floor before answering.

• 3 weeks later...
On the way to work this morning I saw workmen clearing weeds in full Hi-viz, Steel toe capped, Hardhat, goggles and gloves. Some of them were just de-weeding and using rakes and yet they were in full PPE. I could understand issuing PPE to staff for certain jobs but just doing gardening for the council and a heavy weed is going to jump up from the ground and hit you on the head which could cause trauma????? H&S has gone too far.

Makes me think of the universal safety sign that a "safety consultant" sent to an outdoor contract I was working on. He turned up and asked if we had any concerns. I told him we had an issue with bad storage of equipment resulting in back stress when it was being removed from storage. He shrugged his shoulders and drove off. Then the one-sign-does-all turned up. Basically a huge flappy white plastic panel with every single site hazard label stuck to it.

I wonder how much he charged for that consultancy.

I once worked in a fire detector factory and staff had to take a training course on how to empty the bins. If they had to clear the lines from the manufacturing parts because of cut legs from components then they must take this in house training course hosted by their safety director. Mind you this guy was a joke anyway. He was a stickler for giving telling offs for people having their mobile phone on the shop floor yet this guy walked around with one and used it quite alot.

Its people who turn up to sites in their clean hi-viz, steelies, flashing warning lights on their helmets with H&S written all over their clipboard, goggles, gloves and has-mat suits, telling people they are doing their job wrong or it is unsafe. These are the same people who have never had any experience of manual labour in their entire life and wouldn't know the difference between a flat head and cross head screwdriver!

Archived