Jam substitute

Well, of course panto season is still here and this week's first night brought a previously unknown issue to the table.

Standard type kitchen slapstick scene, baking the cake. The dame & cohort are smearing jam over a faux cake which then gets dropped on the floor, leaving deposits that are at the same time sticky to clean up and slippery if trodden on...

(I found out about the jam element on dress on Monday).

Now, we're looking at options for laying a sheet on the floor, but that could have similar slip hazards associated with it rucking up - or a piece of hardboard which can then be lifted and cleaned offstage.

But what might be easier all round would be a substitute for the actual jam 9 a cheap red one from Lidl is what's on offer at the moment). Something that looks and spreads like jam but isn't too sticky toquickly wipe up...

Any thoughts?

How about mixing some vegetable oil in with the jam? You should end up with little blobs of jam coated in oil. This should stop the jam from sticking to the floor, though it might then be difficult to get it to stick to the cake. Notice I'm saying 'could' and 'should' a lot here, because I haven't actually tried doing this.

Another option is spread some sort of icing instead of jam. You could then use shaving foam for the 'icing' which ought to be easier to clean up.

Or local panto have always put a blue tarp down for at least the last 10 years, not had a problem yet in any of the shows I've patronised. There is usually eggs, flour, water or milk and various extras.Failing that , look at non slip carpet underlay.

We never had a problem with a 'slosh cloth'. It probably helped that it was usually attached to a truck. If the turns can cope with a messy floor they can cope with a cloth.

The unfolding of the the cloth by the actors is usually accompanied by a line about 'Just in case it get's a bit messy' along with a knowing look at the audience. That usually gets a laugh in itself.

After I raised the question on opening night the director and cast involved actually came up with the solution themselves - which was DON'T drop the cake on the floor in the first place - low-tech and risk free. :)

Still a bit of shaving foam 'cream' but whilst that in itself isn't the easiest clean-up, it's far better than the confiture...

So - concerns allayed.

Archived