Making a Custom Multicore (Loom)

c0astman

On the back of a previous post, I'd appreciate some advice on building a Custom Multicore (Loom).

I do a couple of gigs where I have 40m run from back stage to the control position. So far I have relied on joined 20m cables suspended from a rope running above the auditorium.

I'm now in a position to construct a 50m loom of cables to replace the individual cables I have been using. I'm planning to include 2 x Power, 2 x DMX, 2 x Ethernet and 1 x Audio (for talkback Comms).

The ethernet cable with either run Artnet or connect the desk to an on stage media server.

I have noted comments about not using a braid sheath, and will consider alternatives when I can visualise the thickness of the loom. Also using a trunk rather than a reel to store it.

Currently I have selected cable from CPC for power, DMX, and Audio. I would like some guidance on an appropriate Ethernet cable to include.

Thanks! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

I agree - if this is an investment I'd be looking at a decent Cat 5/6 shielded multi - probably 6 lines (a drum of the stuff is usually 305m!) to allow for future expandability. For your dedicated DMX and audio lines - you could use this system Thomann RJ45 DMX Shuttle Snake - 1 cable instead of 3?

And why 2 power lines? 1 is normally enough for FoH power, and doubling up on cables will double up on weight. A 50m multi will weigh a fair bit!

Thanks both.

Second power is for the sound desk which in the past we have kept on separate power phase. The last sound tech wasn't fussed as he was using a digital desk and only have slave control FOH..

Its a good challenge and something I'll consider further. Not sure I can stretch to that Cat5 multicore, beautiful though it is, unless I have misread, 50m would be circ. £900

Would this be better? 50m 2 x Power 2 x Ethernet 2 x XLR

I nearly bought one of those a few weeks ago but some of the comments put me off. Just a few too mentions of unreliability. My intention was to cut the ends of and reterminate so the mentions of poor connectors didn't bother me, but somebody mentioned that they'd done this and it still didn't work - implying damage to the cable.

Canford have some surprisingly cheap cat5 multicores here which I'm still quite tempted by. The studio ones would probably do me for the amount of work it'd get. Then just split one of the spare cat5 lines for DMX or audio and you'd be made. Just need to tape power to the side of it or run it in separately.

Canford have some surprisingly cheap cat5 multicores here which I'm still quite tempted by.

Those do look very good - and quite un-Canford-like pricing. It's a pity that the length options don't quite line up with my requirements, 25m is too short for most of the venues I'm in, but 50m is a bit on the long side. 30m or 40m would be great.

Would this be better? 50m 2 x Power 2 x Ethernet 2 x XLR

I nearly bought one of those a few weeks ago but some of the comments put me off. Just a few too mentions of unreliability. My intention was to cut the ends of and reterminate so the mentions of poor connectors didn't bother me, but somebody mentioned that they'd done this and it still didn't work - implying damage to the cable.

Canford have some surprisingly cheap cat5 multicores here which I'm still quite tempted by. The studio ones would probably do me for the amount of work it'd get. Then just split one of the spare cat5 lines for DMX or audio and you'd be made. Just need to tape power to the side of it or run it in separately.

These look really good but I'll always choose reliability over form.

Only issue with running clearcom/techpro over cat5 is that the wires are very thin compared to mic cable and you'll get a lot of volt drop. Plus the fact that the com audio is unbalanced you really do want a shield.

That's good to know. I have one venue where we get Radio 5 Live loud and clear on the Tecpro rig.... Makes some tedious rehearsals more bearable.

That's good to know. I have one venue where we get Radio 5 Live loud and clear on the Tecpro rig.... Makes some tedious rehearsals more bearable.

That's usually because the comms wiring hasn't been earthed properly. Our rather, it has been earthed.

Archived