Power help?

davilbac

In the UK connectors for home use often have a fuse incorporated, but having fuses all over the place is hard for trouble shooting. SO 15A connectors are used, and 16A connectors are also used and fuses (or breakers) are kept together for convenience.

SOMETIMES 15A is used for dimmed circuits and 16A for hard mains circuits.

One of the venues I get to work in several times a year has been added to over the years and each addition has been a different socket type so there are 5A, 13A, 15A, C13 and powercon. The last 2 were originally cabled in directly to the fittings. Consequently there is a big plastic crate full with various adapter cables. Funny thing is the Strand 24 channel dimmer pack and 15A patch bay controlling it all. There are also some disused 2A still in existence.

One of the venues I get to work in several times a year has been added to over the years and each addition has been a different socket type so there are 5A, 13A, 15A, C13 and powercon. The last 2 were originally cabled in directly to the fittings. Consequently there is a big plastic crate full with various adapter cables. Funny thing is the Strand 24 channel dimmer pack and 15A patch bay controlling it all. There are also some disused 2A still in existence.

If it's a school the 2A was often used as a loudspeaker ring circuit for schools' radio from a master receiver, usually by Clarke & Smith, and probably execrable. They made a speaker cabinet with a slanting front out of plywood with a carrying handle on the top and, probably a Celestion 8 inch 10 watt behind a pierced steel grille. Back in 1992 I was involved in a rebuild that found some nasty surprises lurking around from the original 1958 new build on the power side, but hey back then the power requirements of a school would have been modest in the extreme outside the crafts and kitchens.

If it's a school the 2A was often used as a loudspeaker  ring circuit for schools' radio from a master receiver, usually by Clarke & Smith, and probably execrable. They made a speaker cabinet with a slanting front out of plywood with a carrying handle on the top and, probably a Celestion 8 inch 10 watt behind a pierced steel grille. Back in 1992 I was involved in a rebuild that found some nasty surprises lurking around from the original 1958 new build on the power side, but hey back then the power requirements of a school would have been modest in the extreme outside the crafts and kitchens.
I has been a school but the 2A 2 pin sockets are on 1/0.044 lead twin from where the original switchboard was.

Archived