Drencher set off by stranger backstage

paulears

I always think the word “sprinkler” is a complete misnomer - it gives the impression of a light mist of water. Here’s what happened when a van (2.1m high) tried to get into our basement car park at work, despite the “2m limit” sign... OK - its knocked the head off rather than triggered it, but you get the idea....

That scares me a little. We dont have GREAT storage, and the truss is there. Mainlines are 3.4m~ truss is 3m. Despite asking no one seems to know exactly where the main valve is.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the valve isolated we thought we'd try the remote release. The cable passes through a long length of conduit to get to the panel, and it took real effort to release the valve - so absolutely 100% deliberate. Funny how things spread - today's show coming in knew all about it, while we'd rather forget. However - being selfish - all our kit (as in my kit) is absolutely fine, and the stage has never been cleaner. The carpet dried out too which is amazing. Can't hang around - Wales is a long way from here, and the A12 is calling. This for those used to real roads, is what serves for a main road in Suffolk - the first 40 miles is a single carriageway, with 60mph limit, apart from one section with dual carriageway, where the limit DROPS to 50mph with a camera. That's Suffolk for you!

Returning to the point of no cameras - for anyone interested I can highly recommend the Ubiquiti Unifi series of IP-based cameras - we have a now quite large setup across the venue covering all points of entry and other critical areas. As long as you can pull CAT5 cable and do a bit of network configuration it's easy to self install, which saved us thousands compared to getting a security company in.

I suppose I don't think very much about our remote release; fortunately no drencher but our external iron release is on the exterior of the building. Tucked into a corner of the yard by the stage door, completely unlabelled, but it certainly works! Unfortunately putting some sort of locked box over it would rather defeat the point...

Where in Wales, Paul?

I used to know the Showads when Ray Martinez was playing lead guitar for them and we all lived in Monmouth, good folk. There is a great pic of Ray playing on a village hall stage with Planty somewhere on the net. Good times all round.

Small point of order - you don't pull cat5.

How do you get it out of the box then? http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

You can pull it out of the box but pulling it through trunking can alter the characteristics and it may not work as required.

How do you get it out of the box then? http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

You can pull it out of the box but pulling it through trunking can alter the characteristics and it may not work as required.

Im sorry I belive you are living in cloud cuckoo land. I have personally pulled kilometres and kilometres of cat 5, cat5e, cat 6 over the past 13 years as have thousands and thousands of other network engineers and installers and its the done thing, the standard way of doing it, it why all cables are tested and certified once installed.

"Pulling" cables is standard, BT do it, VM do it, all installers do it.

Fibre optics is a different story and have to be handled differently but normal cat 5 etc is fine as long as you know what you are doing.

Im sorry I belive you are living in cloud cuckoo land. I have personally pulled kilometres and kilometres of cat 5, cat5e, cat 6 over the past 13 years as have thousands and thousands of other network engineers and installers and its the done thing, the standard way of doing it, it why all cables are tested and certified once installed.

"Pulling" cables is standard, BT do it, VM do it, all installers do it.

Fibre optics is a different story and have to be handled differently but normal cat 5 etc is fine as long as you know what you are doing.

Only going on what I was told by more than one network installation engineer. If they were (all) wrong so be it.

Archived