small but decent quality mixer

bruce

I'll vouch for the A&H Zed60 10FX as a great little desk too.

Josh

I'd not looked at the spec. of that little desk in any detail before now, however for the price it is definitely worth giving it a try on small jobs.

Two of the most annoying features of the Soundcraft EPM/EFX series' are resolved, with individual LEDs on the PFL and Mute buttons, so mo more running a finger along all channels to see which are depressed.

The USB interface is neat too, particularly as it is two way record & playback.

I'll vouch for the A&H Zed60 10FX as a great little desk too.

Josh

I'd not looked at the spec. of that little desk in any detail before now, however for the price it is definitely worth giving it a try on small jobs.

Two of the most annoying features of the Soundcraft EPM/EFX series' are resolved, with individual LEDs on the PFL and Mute buttons, so mo more running a finger along all channels to see which are depressed.

The USB interface is neat too, particularly as it is two way record & playback.

Indeed, you can also select per channel whether it goes to the record bus. Effectively giving a poor mans mix minus if required.

Josh

..poor mans mix minus if required.

Hi Josh,

that's not really what 'mix-minus' is. The term come from (radio) broadcasting and is a per-channel facility on desks so that each channel can have an output of the main mix minus that channels contribution to the mix. It's used to feed back down the line to phone-in contributors so that they can hear the main station output but without themselves as that's already provided by the sidetone locally generated in their phone. If you fed the mix, complete with themselves to them, they'd get confused by hearing themselves with a delay.

..poor mans mix minus if required.

Hi Josh,

that's not really what 'mix-minus' is. The term come from (radio) broadcasting and is a per-channel facility on desks so that each channel can have an output of the main mix minus that channels contribution to the mix. It's used to feed back down the line to phone-in contributors so that they can hear the main station output but without themselves as that's already provided by the sidetone locally generated in their phone. If you fed the mix, complete with themselves to them, they'd get confused by hearing themselves with a delay.

Fair, I had come to understand it from the Midas Digital use of the term which is effectively a reverse sub-group.

Josh

• 1 month later...

Just to bring this one round full circle - I had sort of decided that the Mackie DFX6 fitted my requirements, and was looking out for a decent second hand one in the usual places.

but then I spotted an A&H Zed10fx on gumtree at a bargain price - although probably a bit more than I’d have paid for the mackie. It has pots rather than faders, but other than that it ticks all the boxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived