DMX smoke!

Stargaze Studios

It totally depends on the smoke machine in question but if we are talking your average £50 disco-special then the short answer is no. The long answer is yes but it will cost more than buying a smoke machine with DMX control.

Yeah a demux would work, because most smoke machines (at least the martin/jem ones) use an analogue 0-10v signal, with less than 2v being on, and 2-10v being pump. You'd need to keep it on 2v all the time, or else rig up some sort of widget to provide the necessary voltage. Sounds like the technohaze is a little more of a problem though.

But it does mean using a demux, which seems slightly wasteful for one channel. A single channel DMX-smoke converter sounds like a £20 job to be honest, maybe I should go into business.

Yes there is a lot of prating about and it would be cheaper to buy a small DMX smoke machine but you could use a protocol converter such as the Milford Instruments DMX to serial/analogue out then use the low voltage output from this to drive a relay for the remote then mount them all in a little box but you wouldn’t be able to see the status light many of these small machines have… just go with the small DMX machine if you really need it to be DMX as it will save you the hassle… you could alternately extend the IEC cable… :P

I'd say:

Pay a student to do it, or set aside money for a new machine. The ammount of pratting about required to convert a DMX signal isnt worth it IMHO

Dedicate a dimmer channel to the "smoke machine" and have it control a desklamp gelled green, and let that be the cue light for the operator.

:P David

Or plug the machine into the dimmer rack and use the bump button for the channel to bring it to full, or change one of the channels on the dimmer to act as a distro only (no dimming), so that when the fader is brought up beyond 0 it smokes. Just have to make sure you allow time to warm up the machine

Hi

In the olden days when most dimmers were analogue we used to modify the remotes on ZR20' and the like by putting an opto transistor or darlington across the go button and allow 0-10v control of the remote.

There are people at the moment making single channel DMX relays, XTBA, that could be added to allow DMX control of the smoke machine.

http://www.xtba.co.uk/

Doug Kelly

Are those IEC outputs on these smoke machines 240v I presume so and the control just makes the circuit on mains switching circuit for the pump...?

Our Magnum 550 has the IEC control socket arranged to give the following voltage with reference to the case earth:-

L 240V

E 127V

N 0V

I have contacted my supplier to ask how they condone this use of a mains connector, but have heard nothing back. I'll shout at them again when I next speak to them!

Or plug the machine into the dimmer rack and use the bump button for the channel to bring it to full, or change one of the channels on the dimmer to act as a distro only (no dimming), so that when the fader is brought up beyond 0  it smokes. Just have to make sure you allow time to warm up the machine

Err... NO... the control on these smoke machines are not whether they receive 240v into there control socket but the control socket is basically a big switching circuit for the pump. As in the pumps power goes to the remote and back to the smoke machine so when you press the button you make the circuit and turn the pump on. So putting a dimmer or a “switch†pack/dimmer channel into this would not help. You need something that just makes the connection between the live and the neutral so something like a relay circuit could do this.

Archived