Firing failure-partial

Wookiecj

I just made a video about a dynamite blaster that uses a 10uF capacitor charged up to just short of 1kV. Very interesting device that is designed to reliably fire up to 100 detonators. Not quite suitable for precision pyro cues though.

The original problem of just one match going off in a series string does sound like a slow simmer due to the inability of the unit to provide enough current. Other factors could have been a long cable run adding resistance and a high resistance connection.

The unboosted battery based firing devices really need to use fresh alkaline batteries to deliver the current required, and are best suited for simpler tasks like a single effect.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you must use simply batteries then bargain on 2v per igniter, as a basis for tests. Then build some spare safety margin into the system.

On time first time requires you to be properly equipped. It's cheaper to fit new batteries than to fail to fire a cue.

There are some small size sealed lead acid batteries ( 12v 0.8AH) that work well 12v I'd use for 6 igs, 24v would certainly do your 8 igs. Available from RS and others.

If it is the unit from EasyPyro that you have then check how to fit a 12v battery. a good well charged SLA should be a great improvement for you.

encouraging results...

6 of 8 fired symmetrically. From the audience point of view it looked balanced as #1 & #8 were the failures. However, it all happens so fast I doubt if the audience would be able to tell whether or not any of them didn't fire (we had to check on a video while the show was running to be absolutely sure what had gone on). We suspect that it may have been an old batch problem.

We will be firing new stock tonight.

Hi Guys,

So we had 6 out of 8 fire last night n the dress rehearsal, using an external 12V battery, (the system comes with its own external power cable for this), one on each side of the stage but in different positions, I am putting this down to a batch issue (I think I kept all of the igniters separate), but the effects was so good the only people who noticed was myself and WookieCJ.

The 2 that didn't fire were fired successfully after the dress.

Opening night tonight, brand new box of igniters so same batch so fingers crossed.

Thanks to everyone for their help and guidance.

To those that asked changing my username this is with the admins of this site, as I cannot find how to do it under settings or profile.

Mart

...their website is very misleading then...

A misleading Chinese website? Surely not!

If you need multiple devices to fire together you might get away with a mix of series and parallel. For example, connect up 4 pairs of series wired devices in parallel. The igniters in each series pair would need to be of the same type, and you'd lose the ability to easily test, but you'd stand more chance of getting it all to go. The other option would be to use an external power supply if you don't need to be battery powered. An 18v external supply would help.

It is a UK company www.EasyPyro.com

Hi guys,

We do supply Remotech equipment here in the UK. However our website doesn't say you can fire 100 x e-matches with the MS12Q. The only system we have that can fire very large numbers of e-match at once is the BB75 capacitor discharge blasting machine, which kicks out about 330 volts.

2 rules of thumb for series e-match firing:

1. Ensure all e-match are the same type.

2. Push at least 1 Amp around the circuit.

So if you measure the circuit resistance, then as V = I / R and we are trying to get I = 1, then as long as your Voltage is equal or above your circuit resistance then you should be fine.

We also have a nice calculator on our website to help you out.

https://easypyro.com/calc/

Cheers,

Andrew @ EasyPyro

...their website is very misleading then...

A misleading Chinese website? Surely not!

If you need multiple devices to fire together you might get away with a mix of series and parallel. For example, connect up 4 pairs of series wired devices in parallel. The igniters in each series pair would need to be of the same type, and you'd lose the ability to easily test, but you'd stand more chance of getting it all to go. The other option would be to use an external power supply if you don't need to be battery powered. An 18v external supply would help.

It is a UK company www.EasyPyro.com

Hi guys,

We do supply Remotech equipment here in the UK. However our website doesn't say you can fire 100 x e-matches with the MS12Q. The only system we have that can fire very large numbers of e-match at once is the BB75 capacitor discharge blasting machine, which kicks out about 330 volts.

2 rules of thumb for series e-match firing:

1. Ensure all e-match are the same type.

2. Push at least 1 Amp around the circuit.

So if you measure the circuit resistance, then as V = I / R and we are trying to get I = 1, then as long as your Voltage is equal or above your circuit resistance then you should be fine.

We also have a nice calculator on our website to help you out.

https://easypyro.com/calc/

Cheers,

Andrew @ EasyPyro

Hi Andy, I think I mis-represented EasyPyro with my comment, on checking I clicked on a link within the site for splicers that shows a diagram showing 1-4 igniters then a gap and 100+ https://easypyro.com/pyro-splice-50. It was not my intention to slam your site or EasyPyro, as I have had great service form you and the entry level MS12Q for the money is very reliable and does what your website says it does, so apologioes if I caused offence.

So we had 6 out of 8 fire last night n the dress rehearsal, using an external 12V battery,
is there a reason why you're intent on using batteries?

Why not find a suitable DC PSU that can deliver the current you need (with some headroom) and connect that to your firer box?

So we had 6 out of 8 fire last night n the dress rehearsal, using an external 12V battery,
is there a reason why you're intent on using batteries?

Why not find a suitable DC PSU that can deliver the current you need (with some headroom) and connect that to your firer box?

Sorry we didn't mention at the beginning it is an open air production of "A Midsummers Nights Dream" with extremely limited powered facilities hence the use of a portable battery unit.

When we did MND in the local park we fired the pyro with a battery powered Le Maitre unit, which is a discharge unit. Same at Minack, when we had pyro on the rock and around the stage, all fired from the nook under the stage on the cliff path backstage, battery powered Le Maitre box again.

OP is using a wireless unit which works on 6v of AA batteries and accepts 12v of external battery. IMO 12v is borderline for 8 igs on one cue, BUT is apparently the best available via that wireless unit. 18v (2 x PP3 ) as a le Maitre unit would make me happier, or even find a wired system with 24v.

Or as a huge improvement, get a small car/motorbike battery at 12v - that would certainly give enough 'oomph'!!

You still need enough volts to push the required current through your effective resistance though.

You still need enough volts to push the required current through your effective resistance though.

Indeed :)

But I suspect that part of the OP's problem may have been not quite enough juice from the supposed volts that they thought they were driving the box with (ie the resulting total ohmage pulling down the supply voltage of the weedy AA cells that were maybe not quite up to the task... :) )

OP is using a wireless unit which works on 6v of AA batteries and accepts 12v of external battery. IMO 12v is borderline for 8 igs on one cue, BUT is apparently the best available via that wireless unit. 18v (2 x PP3 ) as a le Maitre unit would make me happier, or even find a wired system with 24v.

That was kind of my point - batteries needn't preclude reliable firing, might have to change equipment, though.

Archived