3-pin DMX declared 'ILLEGAL...'!

Ynot

The main reason they're used on budget fixtures is because when buying in bulk using 3 pin connectors rather than 5 pin is a large financial saving.

This then pushed some manufacturers to include both. Martin always used to do this on their professional fixtures, however I believe this may be being phased out and only 5 pin included.

Edward

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Martin's original use of 3 pin predated DMX, their proprietary control protocol was set up to use 3 pin XLR. They then updated firmware to accept DMX, but kept with 3 pin for compatibility with their system and existing installs. Some older fixtures like Mac500s and 600s have the option in the menu for martin protocol or DMX protocol.

The main reason they're used on budget fixtures is because when buying in bulk using 3 pin connectors rather than 5 pin is a large financial saving.

This then pushed some manufacturers to include both. Martin always used to do this on their professional fixtures, however I believe this may be being phased out and only 5 pin included.

Historically I think the reason for 3 pin on budget stuff was to allow use of microphone cables that people already owned. And as JPearce says Martin was already using them. What fixtures have you come across that only have 5 pin? Including both seems to be a feature of "pro" fixtures. Working on a rig where some things only have 3 (Chauvet Tour pars) and some only have 5, it makes life much easier...

Historically I think the reason for 3 pin on budget stuff was to allow use of microphone cables that people already owned. And as JPearce says Martin was already using them. What fixtures have you come across that only have 5 pin? Including both seems to be a feature of "pro" fixtures. Working on a rig where some things only have 3 (Chauvet Tour pars) and some only have 5, it makes life much easier...

On the latest Clay Paky kit I know this has been phased out, and I'm pretty sure for Martin and VariLite this is a thing of the past too. I believe Robe still include both though.

Edward

All new Martin and CP stuff are 5 pin only as Edward says! Haven't VL always been 5 pin as well?

Robe 100 LED beams are 5 pin only, but that's more likely to do with the space available in the base.

I'll use 5 pin cable as much as possible just for ease, but it does help when units have the option for both so you can swap between the two if needed.

I have a section in my tool box with about 20 3/5 turn arounds just to get me out of the s###.

You could argue that using RJ45 is as much a sin as using 3p XLR.....

5p XLR - DMX, very little doubt.

3p XLR - DMX, slight chance of audio if the device also has audio, such as S to L.

RJ45 - Hmmm... likely DMX, but could it have built-in ARTnet or some other type of IP control?? :unsure:

Just putting it out there :)

RJ45 - Hmmm... likely DMX, but could it have built-in ARTnet or some other type of IP control?? :unsure:

Basically could be almost anything digital !!

Or analogue - you can send all manner of audio and video with appropriate baluns.

But also with buildings being flood wired with Cat5, which meets all the cable specs for DMX, having an official pin out is a good thing. IIRC, the spec only allows the use of Cat5/RJ45 for infrastructure cabling, not on actual fixtures.

Yesterday being dated 5/12 across the pond led to my Facebook being filled with various DMX related posts, including some pretty militant views about the use of 3 pin. The posters were not just some random lampies, but actually pretty influential people in the US production tech scene. I'd not be at all surprised if some states didn't make using 3 pin for DMX a capital offence, so strong was the sentiment.

Don't even mention Cat 5 cable or RJ45.

CAT5 /5e/6 is much better than audio XLR for DMX transmission!

Edward

Another Marmite situation, in the last year I have rewired from cat 5 & cat5e infrastructure to Belden 9842 in 2 fairly small venues (305m drum did both) due to interference suspicions.

1495145734[/url]' post='550659']
1494670934[/url]' post='550509']
1494670331[/url]' post='550508']

Yesterday being dated 5/12 across the pond led to my Facebook being filled with various DMX related posts, including some pretty militant views about the use of 3 pin. The posters were not just some random lampies, but actually pretty influential people in the US production tech scene. I'd not be at all surprised if some states didn't make using 3 pin for DMX a capital offence, so strong was the sentiment.

Don't even mention Cat 5 cable or RJ45.

CAT5 /5e/6 is much better than audio XLR for DMX transmission!

Edward

Another Marmite situation, in the last year I have rewired from cat 5 & cat5e infrastructure to Belden 9842 in 2 fairly small venues (305m drum did both) due to interference suspicions.

CAT5/5e and RS485 (DMX) are said to be compatible, however the only potential risk is the impedance mismatch (100 ohms for CAT5, 120 ohms for RS485).

Edward

Archived