wireless link

revbobuk

So - the Neutrik Xirium system looks lovely, but is v. expensive. The Alto Stealth system is affordable, but Channel 70, which won't work. I'm looking for a simple way to supply signal to speakers half way down a long function room without long cables. Using in-ear systems seems to add complexity, as most seem to be stereo, but that could work. What would people recommend?

Is this a temporary use thing or are you wanting something more perminant?

It also depends on quality your trying to achieve, For better quality I've used senheiser belt pack transmitters before now and just plugged in the mains receivers next to speakers as you always need power to speakers if you've not got cables. You could use IEM tx's with mic RX's if you want plug in reliability, it all depends what you have in your arsenal.

I've used a cctv wireless video and audio TX/RX combo before which will get you 200+m no problem but the acoustic range is poor, good enough for BGM around a sports field but probably not for corporate gigs.

There's probably a reason the Neutrik solution is expensive!

So - the Neutrik Xirium system looks lovely, but is v. expensive. The Alto Stealth system is affordable, but Channel 70, which won't work. I'm looking for a simple way to supply signal to speakers half way down a long function room without long cables. Using in-ear systems seems to add complexity, as most seem to be stereo, but that could work. What would people recommend?

Seriously? Cable. How big is the room, I've had to run plenty of 300' runs to multiple delay speakers. For the price of a wireless link you can buy a lot of labor to run cable for you, and it will be more reliable.

Mac

Seriously? Cable. How big is the room, I've had to run plenty of 300' runs to multiple delay speakers. For the price of a wireless link you can buy a lot of labor to run cable for you, and it will be more reliable.

Mac

It's not about the distance, it's about timing. I'm not short of experience at running cable, but there are multiple doorways to cross, there's very little setup time, and if one of the wireless solutions has proven to work well, I would be happy to give it a go.

Is this a temporary use thing or are you wanting something more perminant?

It also depends on quality your trying to achieve, For better quality I've used senheiser belt pack transmitters before now and just plugged in the mains receivers next to speakers as you always need power to speakers if you've not got cables. You could use IEM tx's with mic RX's if you want plug in reliability, it all depends what you have in your arsenal.

I've used a cctv wireless video and audio TX/RX combo before which will get you 200+m no problem but the acoustic range is poor, good enough for BGM around a sports field but probably not for corporate gigs.

There's probably a reason the Neutrik solution is expensive!

Temporary. And speed is important - that's why I'm considering it at all. I don't have any belt pack transmitters (all my radio kit is handhelds) nor IEM so I would be starting with a clean sheet. I've used video relay kit before, but as you say the audio quality of some of them is marginal.

Seems that you are stuck between the cost of decent RF links and the cost of staff to do the rigging quickly enough. When I bought a 2.4g TV transmit/receiver kit it warned that transmitting sound without picture was an offence -probably because pirate radio stations used to use them as studio to Tx links so that the studio couldn't be found by following a wire.

Taping is a fine in my book. I take the opinion if you can't pickup your feet across a cable you've got no chance on the lip on many fire doors.

I use to go over doors until I did a job for the HSE who didn't even bother to use tape on their banner stand lights

Thinking about it cost wise, I have a sonos system at home which I have deployed for some jobs needing remote speakers. Never done relay speakers in the same room, only seperate rooms so not sure on the timing but they have proved to be solid.

Archived