Trantec S2.4

cedd

Whilst browsing the leisuretec site today I came across the Trantec S2.4 system. Not something I've ever come across before but apparently it's a 2.4GHz wireless mic system and I think is a reasonably new product.

Unfortunately there's very little useful information online about it - TOA's (Trantec's) website is its' usual useless self when it comes to wanting anything more than consumer information.

http://www.toa.co.uk/prodcat/s2-4/

Has anybody ever used them in anger? They appear to only have one receive aerial which means non-diversity and probably says a lot about where it's placed in the market. Nevertheless the price point is very competitive and as somebody who's running 8 channels of Line6 but getting a wee bit frustrated with poor support, it's worth looking at.

Can't find a manual anywhere, nor any information on antenna distribution (if indeed it's possible to - might be just single system only). How many simultaneous systems? It says 16 available channels, but that doesn't mean 16 simultaneous systems.

5 hours on 2 AA's isn't super impressive, especially given that the S5.3's do 10 hours on one AA, but as I don't trust my Line6's to do 2 shows on a battery anyway, 5 hours isn't really a problem.

I'm just curious about them really, but the lack of information isn't helping.

Studiospares provides the following, but doesn't really answer the issues you raise....

TRANTEC S2.4-HX HANDHELD SYSTEM 2.4GHZ

The S2.4-HX is a single channel 2.4GHz ISM Digital Microphone Wireless system with up to 16 selectable channels to choose from. It includes one Handheld microphone and one Single receiver with LCD display.

SPECIFICATION

Carrier Frequency 2.404-2.474GHz

Available Channels 16

Band Range 2mHz

Dynamic Range 85dB

Total Harmonic Distortion <0.1%

Power Supply DC17V

Power Consumption 2W

Signal to Noise Ratio >95dB

Receiving Sensitivity -80dBm

Handheld Transmitter

RF Carrier Power 10mW

Modulation Type GFSK

Ultraharmonics <20dB

Power Supply 2 x 1.5V AA battery

Battery Life Approx. 5 hours

• 1 year later...

I've just bought one for installation in our church hall, as we are using all the licence free UHF channels in the church and two of the three VHF channels in different rooms in the hall already.

I'm afraid I can't comment on sound quality yet as I've only had a quick play.

No, I can't find the manual on line, it is pretty brief, with line drawings of the units and instructions on the IR synch feature.

I've had a quick peer inside, the antennae is hard wired so you'd have to replace it with an appropriate RF socket to use antennae distribution. The display accommodates an A/B antennae feature but the PCB clearly is designed as a single antennae system only (no diversity).

The Studiospares website claims 8 of the 16 channels can be used at the same time.

Battery status is on the transmitter LCD only.

Operation is very simple. The receiver is switchable between the 16 channels using the arrow keys.

Once a channel is selected, hold the ID key until a symbol appears on the display, then press the power button twice on the transmitter, the transmitter changes to the same channel as the receiver.

There is only a power button on the handheld transmitter. From the instructions, it appears the bodypack transmitter additionally has a volume control, mute switch and manual channel change button.

The receiver display shows RF and AF bargraphs, channel nunber and frequency. The transmitter displays the channel number, frequency and battery status.

Output is on XLR and 1/4" unbalanced jack. There is a level control on the receiver (don't know if this affects both outputs yet).

Receiver has a metal case, handheld transmitter has a plastic case. Comes with plugtop power supply, cheapo jack lead, batteries and a mystery piece of metal and screws, possibly something to do with rackmounting a pair of units?

No swivel clip is included, the mic is quite large diameter and I recommend the Beyer MKV11 or K&M 85070.

Edited by tamitche

Update: sound seems OK with little noise.

Output is rather low, on the very basic Ashley 1U mixer it is going into it is not loud enough at line level.

I guess they are supposed to complement the S4.4 series etc and they are not line level output. Loud mic level yes but not line level.

At the risk of being slightly off topic. The shared license which gives you CH38 plus Ch65 and a bit of 66 is £75 for 1 year (If paid online) These are frequencies that are reserved for PMSE. 2.4GHz while licence exempt is full of other stuff, Bluetooth, WiFi etc. If going for digital radio systems, I would look for ones that operate in CH38 and not compete in the 2.4GHz band. I have lost count on the number of gigs I have done where the Line 6 2.4GHz guitar wireless that the artist has bought with them workes lovely in sound check, but when 500+ mobile phones all pushing out 2.4GHz come into the room they stop working. The reality is, the shared license is not that expensive and I believe you will get better reliability from devices in the shared frequencies. They are a lot less congested.

At the risk of being slightly off topic. The shared license which gives you CH38 plus Ch65 and a bit of 66 is £75 for 1 year (If paid online) These are frequencies that are reserved for PMSE. 2.4GHz while licence exempt is full of other stuff, Bluetooth, WiFi etc. If going for digital radio systems, I would look for ones that operate in CH38 and not compete in the 2.4GHz band. I have lost count on the number of gigs I have done where the Line 6 2.4GHz guitar wireless that the artist has bought with them workes lovely in sound check, but when 500+ mobile phones all pushing out 2.4GHz come into the room they stop working. The reality is, the shared license is not that expensive and I believe you will get better reliability from devices in the shared frequencies. They are a lot less congested.

While I agree completely with the point you are making - that 2.4GHz has congestion issues - systems that don't operate in that band aren't ever going to be budget. Economies of scale - that's why all the budget UHF is still channel 70. And I didn't know that digital systems were available in Ch38 - I know of systems using 1.9GHz, and that might be a better bet. 2.4GHz will still be where all the cheaper stuff goes, though. Interesting that this Trantec seems to be specific frequency, rather than the Line6, which I think is frequency-hopping? That's going to make the Trantec rather vulnerable, I would have thought.

Interesting that this Trantec seems to be specific frequency, rather than the Line6, which I think is frequency-hopping?

The L6 isn't frequency hopping per se but instead uses four separate frequencies (in RF1 mode) which each carry duplicate data - as long as at least one of those frequencies' data gets through, the system works.

All very interesting stuff, thank you.

As with most of the 2.4GHz offerings at the minute, antenna distribution is where things are let down a little. Line6 have some and I know the Shure systems have variants of their antenna distribution that go up that high, but otherwise there's not much.

I have a 2 way splitter designed for microwave frequencies in my Line6 rack but that's passive. Being that 2.4Ghz is used so widely in the IT world I did wonder if there was anything suitable designed for that, but I can't find anything as yet.

Or maybe even into one of these for four outputs. And the setup above could be duplicated for diversity systems that have two antennae. But I think that the connectors would need some work - routers use reverse SMA, and satellite gear uses n-type. You may need something like this to adapt.

Edited by revbobuk

Yep that's it, I offered ideas which will need completing to make the appropriate system for the user.

Most of the kit for satellite [or pro TV] work is usually F type unfortunately but I have in the past used belling lee type patch leads that are actually a coax with push fit F types and adapters, I have cut the cables in half to make 2 BNC's or TNC's to F cables.

Edited by sunray