Digital Radio Mics

fincaman

I have to say if you are looking for a handheld, the best offer at the moment is the AKG Tetrad system from Gear4Music - but it is a rather odd offer. Prices are ludicrously low, but it is a quad receiver, and it is cheaper to buy 4 of the offer packs and throw three receivers away than it is to try and add transmitters! It's available for a few extra punds with the D5 transmitter, and that's a well-liked mic.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To follow up my own post - the Tetrad is discontinued and Gear4Music are selling off the last few, hence the silly price. Only the P5 variant left, as the D5 are all sold out. And don't try to sell off the spare transmitters on eBay, as they aren't selling! Chances of finding an extra or replacement transmitter are slim to none, so this is a good deal only in the short term. Otherwise, it's only Line6 35, 55 and 75 models and AudioTechnica System 10 at the lower end of the Digital range.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say if you are looking for a handheld, the best offer at the moment is the AKG Tetrad system from Gear4Music - but it is a rather odd offer. Prices are ludicrously low, but it is a quad receiver, and it is cheaper to buy 4 of the offer packs and throw three receivers away than it is to try and add transmitters! It's available for a few extra punds with the D5 transmitter, and that's a well-liked mic.

Yes - how annoying I havent set this forum to send me an email when there is a response to my question. Grrr that AKG offer was incredible - seems the last price was £99 for the quad receiver and microphone. They are still on sale elsewhere for about 500 or 600 pounds!. No longer in stock at gear4music. Even DV247 want £480.

I cant understand why they were selling them so cheap.

I am still seriously considering the Audio technica system 10 pro but in some respects its got more than I need eg remote positioning of receivers via ethernet but it does seem to have a longer distance with the receivers placed in the main unit that the previous model. The best price so far is £660 with two handheld mics.

I have used one of the Line 6 models and it was exceptionally good - but that was in a small village outside of Rome so cant really judge regarding Wifi congestion and it seems you are paying for some gimmicky features eg microphone modelling etc

I guess with regard to wifi congestion the main problem would be from wifi streaming eg online TV, IP cameras etc. In the USA they have access to channel 12 and I think 13 on 2,4g but UK and probably Europe only go up to 11 - so thats a possible block. I am guessing that the advent of Facebook live streaming from phones etc could really cause some problems unless of course they are using 3 or 4g. I have noticed that quite a few hotel function rooms seem to have wifi deadspots mainly because they keep bedrooms away from the function room to avoid complaints about the noise and don't bother extending wifi coverage.

Would appreciate comments from anyone that has been using Audio Technica system 10 pro for a while

It does sound like there's something a bit funny going on in your circumstances John. There's nothing fundamentally "wrong" with channel 70. Assuming there's no interference and nothing wrong with the kit it should just work as well as channel 38. I still regularly rely on a set of 4 channel 70 systems to supplement my channel 38 and 65 set ups. Whilst I don't give them to principal actors because of the interference risk I've never actually had an issue.

There was a big function going on close by where I suspect they were using multiple radio mics and perhaps IEMs. To add to the possible problems there were two massive TVs - one either side of the stage which I think were possibly connected wirelessly and had to stay on throughout the night.

I dont like changing the frequencies specially when the show is going on as I dont usually carry a list of recommended frequencies with me - so If I change one then I usually have to change the others which then effect the first one and round and round I go. Not had any problems on channel 38 though but that set was being used elsewhere that night.

My channel 70 set is getting old now so even though they do work great for 99% of the time its not worth the hasle when things go wrong - it really can only support 3 mics on channel 70 and in fact its the reason I originally purchased the channel 38 system on the wrong assumption that the old system would be illegal!

I cant understand why they were selling them so cheap.

Years ago, when AKG were in Acton, they had a period of selling off presumably end-of-line but still current mics at ridiculously cheap prices. I've still got some D125s.

Yes - how annoying I havent set this forum to send me an email when there is a response to my question. Grrr that AKG offer was incredible - seems the last price was £99 for the quad receiver and microphone. They are still on sale elsewhere for about 500 or 600 pounds!. No longer in stock at gear4music. Even DV247 want £480.

Not sure if you set up those e-mail alerts, but if you did you may be happy to hear that it appears they're back in stock today at £99. Currently showing 20+ available:

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/AKG-DMSTetrad-P5-Wireless-Vocal-Microphone-Set-v2/2025

Yes!!! Many thanks. I just ordered 4. They come with 19* racking facility. Shame to have to buy 4 receivers . Unconditional 30 day return option. They are sent from Scandinavia. Gear4music bought up the existing stock at a bargain price while the other retailers try to sell old stock for 4 times the price! Bit of a worry regards it being discontinued - hopefully cosmetic changes rather than some breakthrough in technology.

Yes!!! Many thanks. I just ordered 4. They come with 19* racking facility. Shame to have to buy 4 receivers . Unconditional 30 day return option. They are sent from Scandinavia. Gear4music bought up the existing stock at a bargain price while the other retailers try to sell old stock for 4 times the price! Bit of a worry regards it being discontinued - hopefully cosmetic changes rather than some breakthrough in technology.

Just checking gear4music and the Tetrads have disappeared. What a shame. Still at least I got 4 - just in time!

My set of 4 AKG Tetrads arrived this morning. A quick test in my home (with over 40 wifi connected items) and I am so far very impressed. There is a green LED that flickers if the signal is weak and I found I could go all over the house with two doors between the transmitter and receiver and still had good connection. This was the same if I had three working together (not sure yet if I will sell on the 4th one or keep it)

Overall the set looks decent quality - I suppose the handsets are slightly light compared to some others but they seem quite strong. Bit of a pain taking batteries out and ideally need a small screwdriver.

Would be handy if they had different colour battery covers as with JTS and some others so that they can be easily identified from one another.

The receiver as quite chunky and the option to send all mics out onto one XLR was handy for testing them without plugging in extra XLRs.

I thought there was a problem with the 2nd mic - but it was a case of reading the manual! Press the connect button on the required receiver channel and then HOLD in the connect button on the mic until it connects. Once the mics have been paired its not necessary to do that again.

There is a switch on the back which is used if you encounter interference - I didnt need to use that.

Looking forwards to the weekend to give them a proper trial in a live gig situation.

Very happy so far.....

By the way - has anyone noticed that Shure have brought out a digital wireless microphone that works in the VHF frequency - what a great, simple idea! What a shame they are abut £1100. Hopefully the Chinese will follow. Maybe thats also the next AKG generation also.

I used a single mic on 5 gigs

Thursday Small band gig in a bar on Leyton high st

Friday busy bar in romford. Solo singer with backing tracks

Saturday Two large weddings - one in a marquee the other in a recreation centre, solo singer with backing tracks

Sunday large social club solo singer with backing tracks.

They were not great gigs for evaluating interference etc because in each case the singers did not move far from the receiver and only one mic being used.

The batteries lasted for 4 gigs - that's using maplin AA at 100 for £15 so pretty good. The LED on the handset turns red to warn that only 1 hour remains but they lasted a bit longer.

The singers loved them.Good clear sound. They gave feedback slightly earlier than my JTS IN264 set.No dropouts whatsoever. I did a walk around at each venue and got full coverage even when I left the building or went into a different room.

I didn't need to use the interference switch on the back of the receiver.

Next weekend I have some gigs with more active singers and more than one mic so will report back on those. So far very happy. I am using a laptop bag to transport the system which is a lot less bulky than a flight case but still looking for a more permanent option.

B

So this is two years ago, and things are bound to be 'better' now, but I'm curious - various people have referred to the line 6 2.4GHz units as having unspecified 'issues' - My experience was of looking for four channels of belt pack TX with lavalier pics, (thinking that this was better than trying to juggle channels with old fashioned UHF units) and discovering a 'whine' on all of the four units in use. Couldn't get rid of it. As I was in a (very) rural church at the time 'interference" wasn't my first thought as the culprit - but as it showed on all four brand new units, they went back as being no good to me...

Wound up with UHF again, for now.

Anyone else had this problem? Is it 'interference' or some sort of pickup problem (as I assumed).. If interference, from what? Phones? WiFi? Submarines?

if it IS interference, then what's going on? If one assumes that the transmission is 'digital' then any classical interference should result in a poorer carrier to noise, and therefore bit errors - but shouldn't the error correction sort this out? That's the whole point of a digital system , surely? At worst it should cause drop outs, but not a continuous whine?Most Odd..

Tim

... discovering a 'whine' on all of the four units in use. Couldn't get rid of it. As I was in a (very) rural church at the time 'interference" wasn't my first thought as the culprit - but as it showed on all four brand new units, they went back as being no good to me...

Anyone else had this problem? Is it 'interference' or some sort of pickup problem (as I assumed).. If interference, from what? Phones? WiFi? Submarines?

Tim

I suspect I did hear the whine you mention, which seemed to happen with some, not all, lavs when the cable was wound round the pack or bunched up in a pocket next to the unit. Never had it happen in actual use however, so maybe a different issue. It felt like the mic cable was picking up interference from the transmitter.

I'm a very satisfied Line 6 user - had then some years now and not once have I had operational issues. They're not on my shopping list for replacements simply for mechanical reasons. Jammed battery tubes on the hand-held and terrible battery compartment catches on the belt packs - but I cannot fault the audio quality or the wireless part of the system. Receivers are extremely robust. I cannot, however, de-mate the receivers I slotted together. They appear mated for life.

I've had a high pitch whine on analogue lapels when very close to the dockyard here in Plymouth. Nothing I could see on RF so I assumed something from within the base. Likewise, I've done a corporate with AKG 747 near the harbor and had intermittent crackling/chirping when there have been ships in the Sound.

It'd be interesting to see if the whine was the mics of the packs in your situation. What did you have digital/what do you have now?

Josh

Archived