Strange item

Whilst searching on the cpc website I came accross this, is it described as an 'XLR male to female adaptor' this, to me seems to be completely useless unless you have lots of cables which have the same connectors on each end?

Maybe I have overlooked its purpose for being!

Any ideas? http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/cpc/standard/CN00111.jpg

Anyway here is the pic

enjoy

Andy

Yes, I have several. They come apart really easily, and you can fit a small amount of circuitry in there.

Quite what they are intended for, who knows - if they were intended for DIY projects, then I would expect them to come in kit form like the various BNC / N type boxes and d type you can buy do.

Not sure on the real-world validity of the thinking on this one, but I've known one person use these on cheap SM58 clones that don't have a particularly secure connector. The theory being that you bash one of these adaptors on the mic, then the strain of regular connection/disconnection is absorbed by the "adaptor" rather than the mic body itself. I've also seen 3-inch XLR(F) to XLR(M) cables used for just this purpose.

One slightly more sensible use: There are some situations where one might want to add 2-3 inches to the back of a device for easy connection... "shallow" rack-mounted kit (thinking of Alesis 3630 dual-compressors as an example) can be a pain to patch when mounted between two deeper 1U units! Especially when you've not got a pre-wired loom to work with!!

In either case, just remember to remove only the cable when you come to strip it all down :D

Good point!

Many mics (eg SM58) are too fat to go into a panelmount XLR socket directly, so that would solve the problem while still mounting it stiffly.

That said, you wouldn't want to do it with a normal cardiod or hypercardiod, 'cos it would be pointing at the ceiling rather than the sound op...

Many mics (eg SM58) are too fat to go into a panelmount XLR socket directly, so that would solve the problem while still mounting it stiffly.

[Eric Morecambe]

"Can he say 'mounting it stiffly'?" ... (pause) ... "No, 'mounting it stiffly' - but you were close!"

[/Eric Morecambe]

:D

Archived