USB Remote Clicker with a decent range

Stuart91

I'm trying to find a USB wireless remote for a customer. They are currently struggling to get anything working the length of their room. It's about 30m from stage to control point. There is clear line of sight, no walls in the way. I've suggested that they elevate the receiver (using a USB extension cable) so it is above the audience.

Their current unit is a budget thing that's only rated to about 15m and is unsurprisingly poor. I've bought one of these to try out. It claims 100m range but seems to good to be true.

All they need to do is click forwards and backwards in a Powerpoint presentation, no other bells or whistles (or lasers) required...

Can anyone recommend a unit that will work reliably at this sort of range? Bonus points if it isn't mega expensive.

Interspace Industries MicroCue2 is what you're looking for, unfortunatly doesn't meet the 'isn't mega expensive' MicroCue2

That looks lovely - I particularly like the option to run a backup machine. I might buy one for my own hire stock, but as you suspect there's no way these customers are going to spring for one.

Not my area of expertise sorry, but is there a Class 1 Bluetooth solution, rather than the USB? Backed up with a decent dongle attached to the computer (elevated mounting)?

Good idea, but the customers are novices so it has to be as "plug and play" as possible. I can just about trust them to plug a USB dongle in after two or three attempts, but do not fancy trying to talk them through Bluetooth pairing over the phone.

I'd be interested if you find one because I have ended up making one from a 433mhz 2 channel garage door opener (£3.50 from ebay) and a hacked up USB keyboard.

All the commercial ones seem to be 2.4Ghz now, but when you get a room full of people with phones they just don't work. Even when the range is tiny - I used active USB extensions to get the receiver sidestage about 3m away and it still didn't work. (but they work fine before the event!!) 433Mhz seems to work a lot better but it looks a bit bodged up.

The microcue (and their whole range) is great, we have some micro cue, and the mastercue v6 + I think the v4 and some other older kit, I THINK it is all interchangable as well so really easy to buy in the other bits should you want them.

We also have these https://www.kensington.com/us/us/4492/k33373us/wireless-presenter#.WByQeST4XE8 while its 19m you could possibly have a 10m USB line and have the dongle a bit closer

I use a standard Kensington wireless remote in my main hall quite happily at distances of around 25 / 30m. The receiver is attached to the side of the stage via USB extensions (about head height when stood on the stage) so there's less water filled skin bags to pass through. Perhaps a bit of experimentation on receiver placement could help out here?

HI

I had this issue and we bought a pair of USB RJ45 extenders and put in a Lenghth of CAT 5 cable through the ceiling it works great and has been for nearly 2 years

Bought These from flee bay for about £8

My link

HTH

PJ

PS we just leave the receiver end in the ceiling where no one can get to it.

I've bought one of these to try out. It claims 100m range but seems to good to be true.

It probably is - the spec says "up to 100 meters wireless range and 30 meters control distance", so working at 30m might be pushing it.

I regularly use a Kensington (2.4GHz) & an old Targus (433MHz) at up to 10-15m, but haven't tried 30m with a hall full of mobile devices.

The previous 2 posts both look good solutions.

HI

I had this issue and we bought a pair of USB RJ45 extenders and put in a Lenghth of CAT 5 cable through the ceiling it works great and has been for nearly 2 years

Bought These from flee bay for about £8

My link

HTH

PJ

PS we just leave the receiver end in the ceiling where no one can get to it.

I did the same about 10 years ago. Still working completely reliably.

In fact my original question from 2006 is still on this forum.

I know they use 2.4GHz, but I've found that the Logitech R400 devices consistently exceed their specified range. The R800 is another that quotes 30m, and if it is anything like as good as the cheaper R400, I would be inclined to believe it. Very reliable, elegant styling. The R400 has been trouble free.

We use the logitech R800 - rated for 100ft and generally does work at that distance even in wifi war zones. I second the Microcue and Perfectcue type systems if dependability is key.... And if budget is the big one, USB extension for the win - sometimes just getting the dongle away from the PC/laptop is enough to dramatically increase the performance.

Interspace MicroCue or Mastercue system. They're bomb proof. The Mastercue has the ability to place the receiver at distance and connect it by XLR cable - stick the recover at stage, run XLR back to the control position and into the main unit.

Failing that what about using a 30m active USB cable between the receiver and computer?

Archived