Cable storage

I am looking into revising our cable storage system, as frankly we have 3 times as much cable as we can currently store, so am looking for ideas from other people, and finding out how they store theirs. I am not looking for solutions on the scale of VLPS, but whether buckets or individual pegs etc are the way forward. am hoping to get all cable apart from heavy power into a space of about 80sq ft with some kind of racking system...

ideas please....

paul...

When back at base, we try and get them on pegs on the walls so that we know where they are and it's easy to get to them. We're running outta space though... so most of the 'ack' (power) and powersignal leads stay in their pigs- pigs being large, tall road cases on wheels. Those are either in one of the trucks, or stashed in the workshop depending on space.

Why don't you reel your cables on cable reels?

This keeps them from getting damaged.

Stops them getting into a tangle

and has a good cable/space density.

Last count we had over 500 seperate cables. This takes up 160SqFt of floor space. The walls are lined with pegs (Scaff bars) with the cables hung on thses pegs, with between 2-4 rows depending on cable size (XLR obviously smaller than Power...)

This allows for rapid prep and stock takes, and is a neat solution.

We use the brackets designed to mount shelves. In theory at least, when the dam nthings get de-preped. We have a wall of said brackets though. big power (63A +) lives on the floor out the way/.

We just have hundreds of reels on scaff bars in the lighting store. Makes it so easy to grab cable. Never tangled either.

WE have a system of anything under 1m goes into box. Everything else, reel it.

Like Modge, we use the type of brackets used to support shelves. The wall next to each is labeled with a length. Every cable on a peg should be that length.

We just have hundreds of reels on scaff bars in the lighting store. Makes it so easy to grab cable. Never tangled either.

Excuse my ignorance but... how are your scaff bars arranged so that you can put reels of cable on them?

we have large hook type things which were about tenner each to hang signal cables, underneath we keep 15/16a cables and multicores in their trunks, all our sound multicores are on reels anyway, and the big distros and 63a 3ph cables etc perch on steeldeck rigged above the cable house (we call it the cable house).

I can only say that good tydy cabiling makes a good buisness and a good job, cables are expensive to replace and we all rely on them for a salary.

it would be worth obtaining cable trunks etc to store cable (and move it), I like to mark everywhere that has something IE--mark the top of the case ---signal cables---- and then in each compartment put different lenghs etc.

ive waffled havnt I?

mark

We keep 'em all in the trunks - that way they're ready to go out on the big gigs when we just take "a whole bunch," and not too difficult to get to when a small number of specific cables are required. More by luck than design, the cable trunks are just about the right size so that they are full when all cables are in stock, and no space is wasted inside.

In terms of the actual contents of individual containers, they're sorted by type - Power Circuits, Dimmer Circuits, XLR (Mic), Jack & Jack-XLR, Patch Cords, and XLR (DMX). For mic cables, where we have hundreds of them taking up several flightcases, they are then sorted by length - <5m, 5-10m, and >10m.

Now here's a question - not too O/T I hope - How do people keep track of cables? All our other stuff is barcoded and scanned out/in on each job - but with cables the barcode labels get damaged beyond recognition within hours and then just leave a nasty, sticky residue. Any suggestions?

Alex

Now here's a question - not too O/T I hope - How do people keep track of cables? All our other stuff is barcoded and scanned out/in on each job - but with cables the barcode labels get damaged beyond recognition within hours and then just leave a nasty, sticky residue. Any suggestions?

Alex

Been here before - have a look HERE.

Sticky labels, overlaid with clear heatshrink, seems to do the job....

Bruce.

• 3 years later...

Hi guys,

We have just moved into our new larger warehouse space and are looking into new ways of cable storage.

How do you guys currently store cables, both data/XLR and mains of all sizes?

If you have pics or ideas of products I would be interested to hear.

Regards

j

I don't know what its called, but I use the cheap shelving from Homebase (a bar of metal with pairs of slits to fit in brackets) the brackets then have material tubes covering them and cable is hung on them. It does depend on how the cables are coiled but I can fit 3 or 4 sets in 1m20 ish. You can buy long lengths so I would have it as a vertical bar of XLR and have it split in different lengths. You could attach a scaff bar to a wall and do the same thing for mains which I have seen before.

So let me get this straight.

A whole load of you have cable trunks and choose to store cables out the trunks thus wasting space 'cos it sure reads that way. I find it far easier to have numbered cables cases each with fixed contents and a laminated list inside the lid of what it contains, and then make sure you have everything on the list after the show all the bigger stuff like nd big mains hookups do get stored on the wall but also the case set for a gig will have a mains trunk, all multis have their own case. Cable storage isnt rocket science and doesn't need any "clever" solutions.

Charlie

So let me get this straight.

A whole load of you have cable trunks and choose to store cables out the trunks thus wasting space 'cos it sure reads that way.

It all depends on how your cable is deployed. We have a storage solution similar to many described above (scaff pegs etc.) and tend to prep cable for each job then empty again afterwards. The reason for this is that we find ourselves with so many different requirements. A gig with a few bands will eat a lot more XLR than a talking head corporate job. Some gigs require lighting, video etc., some don't. Plus the same overall cable stock is used to make up dry hires, and it's very helpful to be able to just grab a lead if someone asks for it. I can easily see at a glance how much cable we currently have in stock, whereas the "guess how many cables are in the trunk" games is significantly harder.

Of course, if all your gigs are broadly similar, and you don't have much hire to worry about, keeping everything together in trunks may make sense.

Archived