HDMI Splitting and Audio Extraction

Bryson

So, I have two HDMI distribution issues and I'm hoping to find a box that will deal with both.

1. Need to split a HDMI signal, in in, 2 out (one to projector, one to preview monitor)
  2. Want to get an analog audio signal from the HDMI audio as our projector does not have audio out.

Can anyone recommend a single box that will do that for me?

Hi there,

We have supplied boxes to do this previously but much depends on what content you are showing and what your budget is. If you plan on showing anything that has HDCP protection (Blu-Ray movies etc) then the distribution amplifier needs to be HDCP compliant. This adds cost.

Feel free to email me directly with more details on your requirement and I will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Damian

We have two options you could consider:

HDMXA71 - is a 4x2 unit with multi-channel analogue audio out. It can be set as a Splitter or a Matrix and has Digital and Analogue audio out, no audio processing so you need to ensure the Source is set to LPCM.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x2_7_1audio.html

HDDA12A - is a 1x2 unit with Digital and 2-Ch analogue Out, as above no audio processing the Source has to be set to LPCM.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20distribution%20amp_splitter%202%20port.html

Both fully HDCP compliant with firmware updates/customisation via USB.

Joe

We have two options you could consider:

HDMXA71 - is a 4x2 unit with multi-channel analogue audio out. It can be set as a Splitter or a Matrix and has Digital and Analogue audio out, no audio processing so you need to ensure the Source is set to LPCM.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x2_7_1audio.html

HDDA12A - is a 1x2 unit with Digital and 2-Ch analogue Out, as above no audio processing the Source has to be set to LPCM.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20distribution%20amp_splitter%202%20port.html

Both fully HDCP compliant with firmware updates/customisation via USB.

Joe

+1 for the Octavainc kit.

After destroying two Chinese (Maplin) devices by hot-swapping HDMI - lesson learned! - I bought an Octavainc 2x2 matrix with audio out for my home cinema setup. My AV amp is too old to have HDMI and the Intel NUC has nothing but (apart from headphone socket). There was an EDID issue between the projector and a flatscreen monitor which was sorted very quickly after an email and some custom software. Has been rock solid since. I believe the HDMI ports are protected but haven't risked hot swapping!

The Chinese devices were actually ok while alive, but there were frequent freezes and simply not playing nicely. (Which was why there was so much hot swapping - my excuse)

Philip

Strange so many replies saying to use headphone socket as a last resort. Very rarely do we have a problem with them unless it is a really nasty laptop. When the client turns up at the last minute for their presentation are you really not going to use the headphone socket? Ok we always put it through a PC balancing box, but the audio quality is perfectly acceptable every time.

All I was saying is that some people are under the impression that when an HDMI cable is plugged into a laptop, the audio signal has to go down the HDMI cable. It doesn't. Right click the speaker icon , bottom right of screen, click on playback devices, right click on the device that is highlighted, then click disable. Your audio signal should now be routed via the headphone socket.

When the client turns up at the last minute for their presentation are you really not going to use the headphone socket?

Only as a last resort.

The Radial USB device I linked to is plug & play, before getting that when they were launched a few years ago, we used a cheaper unbranded USB to 1/4" line convertor from CPC, which, although the audio is not of the Radial's quality, was superior to using the headphone jack as it was never noisy.

phawthorne - 'I believe the HDMI ports are protected but haven't risked hot swapping!', agreed on the aiming to avoid HotSwapping HDMI cables. I have never fried one of our ports but have experienced issues with an Xbox and a couple of Freesat HDMI sockets.

Headphone socket - have had to work with some pretty noisy sockets in the past so like TonyMitchell its now the last option.

Joe

Archived