USB interface with dual balanced out

BenEdwards

Hi. I am looking for an entry level audio interface to connect a computer to a pair of monitors via balanced line (XLR or 1/4 jack). The reason I want balanced because it is for an outside cinema and the run is around 10 meters.

I don't need any autio in, just out. It also should ideally be bus powered.

Ben

It's true the unbalanced run might not be a problem but our laptops have the VGA / HDMI shield connected to the audio ground and get pretty noisy audio with long VGA runs.

For this we use Peavy USB-P , which is exactly as you want, bus powered, class compliant on Windows & OSX so needs no drivers, 2x balanced XLR out with no ins, and transformer isolated outputs. Down side is you can't buy them in the UK, but we order them from BHP Photo video and you can get 2 delivered for under £100.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/759075-REG/Peavey_USB_P_USB_P_USB_Direct.html

(We also use the Behringer FCA202s for a similar purpose if that is more suitable, but it isn't as robust at the Peavy, has jack outputs instead, and being FireWire is starting to get a bit of a mess as to what adaptors you need to connect to what computer)

I can recommend the Alesis iO2 which is about $76 at Thomann. It has inputs which you don't need but I doubt you'll find simple playback with balanced outputs. I actually bought one (actually an M Audio M Track but they're identical units with different labels) for simple theatre playback but have been impressed enough by the input quality that I now use it for simple recording too. Reliable drivers and (so far) more than 2 years flawless playback.

I doubt you'll find simple playback with balanced outputs.

Besides the three already mentioned in this thread? My personal kit has three of the Peavey USB-P. At about $50US from B&H Photo it's hard to beat. Transformer balanced out and rugged construction. The Radial has a couple of additional features, but the price differential is significant.

Mac

...personal kit has three of the Peavey USB-P....

Can you run multiple units simultaneously for 4/6 channel playback?

I haven't tried, although MacOS lets you aggregate devices, so it should work. I use one of mine for my FOH laptop, and have two available for Playback Pro video players backstage.

Mac

On OSX, certainly, though it isn't particularly pretty. If your software allows patching across multiple devices then you could do it directly from software, otherwise you can aggregate devices as suggested. I haven't done it specifically with the USB-P but I have done it up to 8ch with the FCA202. Windows I couldn't say for.

Archived