SQUARE DMX Iris?

SamDram

Hi Blue roomers,

Our dance department have a show coming up and they've asked for a 'box of light that can get smaller'.

If this were a standard circular spot, then no problem, but I was wondering if anybody knows of a square shaped DMX Iris?

My other alternative is a few profiles in the same position, shuttered off with squares at different sizes and just fade from large to small, but would be nice to have the smooth visible motion of an iris.

Any suggestions?

Sam

Hi Blue roomers,

Our dance department have a show coming up and they've asked for a 'box of light that can get smaller'.

If this were a standard circular spot, then no problem, but I was wondering if anybody knows of a square shaped DMX Iris?

My other alternative is a few profiles in the same position, shuttered off with squares at different sizes and just fade from large to small, but would be nice to have the smooth visible motion of an iris.

Any suggestions?

Sam

Moving head with framing shutters?

They tend to be higher end profiles (G-Profile, Mac viper performance, the top end of most manufacturers moving spot range) but you do only need to hire one of it.

It's not really an iris if it's square? What you're really looking for is a profile with motorised shutters, but I've never seen a standalone unit. I don't think the S4 Revolution shutter module can be fitted into a normal S4, so I think you'd be looking at hiring a full moving head profile with shutters.

Based on what's been said, I think an S4 Revolution will do the job then? (never used one before...claims to have motorised shutters, which seems to be what I want)

Anybody used the S4 revolution? Can I control shutters to achieve different size square beams?

DHA used to make a device that does exactly what you want: the Yoyo ++ which had two linear gobo drivers in it, and I have seen one with two V-shaped slides in it that woud make a square iris effect. (but that was here in Australia)

DHA Yoyo++ archived webpage

Tracking one down that is still available for hire may be a challenge though.

A quick google does at least find a couple of the single yoyo version in hire in the UK.

http://www.sparkshire.co.uk/new/hire/animation.html

Video projector.

+1 to this

if a projector is viable, then this effect is easy to achieve (depending on the usual things, throw/rigging/position/size, etc) and it also creates numerous additional "opportunities" for extra effects - although maybe not let on about that if you suspect the dance director might get a bit carried away with it all!

Archived