Multiple controls from multiple locations

medina

Hi all, I'm looking at a project that's causing a bit of a control headache, basically it's like this.....within a venue split into zones (6) audience will progress though being led by actors, each zone will have LX, SFX, Video and possibly physical effects ie doors opening etc. Each zone will need to advance its own cue sequence independently of the other zones. The cues ideally would be advanced by the actor/guide. So I guess I'm asking the following. Would it be better to have a central control system with out stations in each zone or just treat each one as its own installation? If the latter, can anyone suggest a suitable playback option as hiring 6 or 7 ions isn't going to be an option. Also we wouldn't want to see the controller so a discreet go/go back button would be needed.

Sorry for the rambling post!

I am certain that an almost identical version of this question has come up here before. Can't find it though, my search foo is failing me right now, maybe you'll have better luck.

Cheers,

Peter

Well ... you certainly wouldn't need to hire multiple Ions! One Ion will happily run multiple cue lists, and I guess you could knock together something with OSC with a controller in each zone, or even something as basic as a simple contact closure switch in each zone connected to an I/O gateway, to advance that zone's cuelist.

Other than that, without knowing a bit more about the project and what you want to achieve, it's hard to offer much else in the way of meaningful advice!

A member here did a similar thing a year or two ago with the Narnia Experience and may be willing to share their expertise. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread at the moment.

However, I have managed to find the website.

Edited to add: website address.

A member here did a similar thing a year or two ago with the Narnia Experience and may be willing to share their expertise. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread at the moment.

However, I have managed to find the website.

Edited to add: website address.

That's the one. Forum member Cedd is the person to speak to.

Cheers,

Peter

I think SCS does DMX via usb dongle, as well as video and audio. Depends on what you are doing / complex

We did a time coded show, audio synced with lights and ran a laptop with something like SCS on it for the cues. Took a while to get it synced but worked great.

Sx and Vx

Please, let's not encourage that. Sound and video. Or AV, if you must have a two-letter acronym for video.

LX makes sense as an abbreviation, because it's short for 'electrics' ('elecs'). It's also quicker to say than 'electrics'. SX as an abbreviation for sound ticks neither of those boxes, and just sounds daft. It also sounds too much like LX when you're listening for cues in a noisy comms environment, and the potential for confusion is high. VX, I haven't even heard that used before - but like SX, it makes my teeth itch.

Rant over.

The use of a show control system for this type of project would make the show run better. I have used Show Cue System in the past to play audio and video while triggering the lighting desk.

The Eos family have four remote trigger inputs so can run four cue lists simultaneously Contact Closure Inputs , you can find out more on Control Booth or the ETC forums. This would allow for the use of four remote switches with a relay interface box at the EOS.

You can also use MIDI or MSC Commands with the EOS desk, I assume that six midi transmitters would be needed, one at each control station, with the midi lines in series.

You could run multiple PC or Mac outstations in each zone running SCS or Qlab which talk to a single Ion. So your sound and video is encapsulated on each pc/mac but the lighting is controlled centrally. You can remote control the Ion with MIDI or OSC from multiple points. SCS and Qlab can handle both.How you trigger the SCS/Qlab is a different matter but a small usb keyboard would do the job.

I don't say them that way Gareth, but I do write them. Anyway, noted :)

That's as may be - but if some less-experienced people see them written that way, they're going to think it's the right abbreviation and they'll start saying them that way. For written abbreviations, what's wrong with the ones that every professional DSM I've ever worked with have been perfectly happy to use in their prompt copies - LX, SND, AV? Anyway, sorry, this is heading seriously off-topic so I'll shut up now. It's just a real bug-bear of mine, that's all ...

You might be interested in Rob Halliday's tech writeup of Punchdrunk's 'The Drowned Man' in LSI April 2014. It describes something similar to what you're talking about, although in this case, the cast took all their cues from the soundtracks, with 5 QLab systems and an Ion running from timecode.

Martin

I don't say them that way Gareth, but I do write them. Anyway, noted :)

That's as may be - but if some less-experienced people see them written that way, they're going to think it's the right abbreviation and they'll start saying them that way. For written abbreviations, what's wrong with the ones that every professional DSM I've ever worked with have been perfectly happy to use in their prompt copies - LX, SND, AV? Anyway, sorry, this is heading seriously off-topic so I'll shut up now. It's just a real bug-bear of mine, that's all ...

If your going to be pedantic, then how is AV suitable for Video? the A is looked after by sound....

Archived