Gel to accentuate tungsten colour

DanSteely

Hi all,

I'm planning to restore an old Strand fresnel that in normal use takes a T11 1000W lamp. I plan to replace this with a 60w halogen lamp.

The beam colour I'd like to achieve is the orange glow you get from a T11 when it's on 10% (if that makes sense). Can you advise on what Lee gel would be suitable.

Also I plan to place the gel internally behind the fresnel lens and don't plan to run the new lamp on more than 50-60%.

Years ago I remember a kind of paint that you could dip your own lamps in. Is this kind of thing still available?

Many thanks

Years ago I remember a kind of paint that you could dip your own lamps in. Is this kind of thing still available?

Yes it is, the common Rosco product Colorine was discontinued last year but you can still get similar things

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/overview/1201031/Light-Bulb-Paint

However, it burns off fairly quickly, especially on higher wattage lamps - they say only use up to 40W but I would say only up to 25W

I would fix a piece of gel inside the lens. Or use a bigger lamp with a dimmer?

Cheers all,

The 022 Dark Amber looks like it fits the bill.

I've got some RGB LED tape kicking about, I might do some experiments with it too.

On the subject of industrial grade stage lighting turning into household fixtures.

I personally have always liked the industrial look and love most of the Steam & Diesel Punk stuff that's about today. Old voltmeters, pressure gauges, pumps, lighting fixtures are all very attractive to me.

I remember seeing the Patt2013 when it was launched and thought it was a canny move. They're now used very widely and have helped to increase the use of old Fresnels as eye candy.

All to the good IMO.

Looking at the CTO series 204 is CTO and 287 is double CTO which is already mentioned above. I'd look at using 204 and using several layers if appropriate by trial and error, You are not projecting an image through it. Remember that there will be a light loss through a filter so a low wattage lamp with the wrong shaped filament in the wrong place coloured by lossy gels will probably not put much light out.

Archived