Street lamp effect

ekul1978

I'm looking for some advice about a street light effect for our upcoming production of Sweeney Todd. I built a light many moons ago and just used a standard house light bulb as it was only needed in a scene for around 8 minutes but need to try and upgrade it now to a more realistic effect. Looking at 1920's era. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to make it look less like a standard house bulb? The link below is a picture of roughly what the light looks like.

http://mournelights....et-lighting.jpg

Thanks Luke

If it was a gas mantle it wouldn't flicker as such but would be a greenish white light. If it was a gas flame it would have some flicker and be more yellow in colour.

You can still see both types in use in London - mantles in Green Park IIRC, gas flames in various locations mainly as decorative lamps on buildings; two examples I know of are in Borough Market and Norton Folgate.

If the practical street light has too bright an output, it will affect the audiences sight, which may have an adverse affect on the overall atmosphere of the stage. It may be a better design to use a profile or Fresnel in the rig above the street light, to provide the pool of light that would come from a bright efficient street light, to shine on the ground or actor, so the audience does not have bright light in their eyes. The pigmy bulb is providing the apparent light source.

When you think of a Humphrey Bogart type of actor with a hat drawn low over his face, the use of a profile above him will produce a harder shadow over his eyes and a hard circle of light on the ground.

The light linked to doesn't look like a mantled gas lamp internally as it would have the distinctive hook shaped assembly inside. I think it might be too recent for a fishtail burner.

How about stylising it by using one of the many big-filament lamps available from places like ASDA these days. they look very retro, and with a tungsten lamp it would also be able to be controlled on a dimmer channel.

Archived