Tecpro PSU PS7111 problem

ekul1978

Hi guys, we have a second hand tecpro PS7111 Power supply that we use at work (school). The unit has worked fine up to now but tonight during our panto the power unit kept tripping off then coming back on. What I mean by this is the DC light on the front would dim, cutting comms then come back on to full brightness, then after a minute or so do exactly the same. I turned the unit off and on again after a short pause only to have it do the same thing after a few minutes of working properly. I've checked the plug and the internal wiring in case there was a loose connection but nothing. Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong with it? Got a few more shows this week to do so I could do with it back up and running asap.

Thanks Luke

I've also had a beltpack go down with a high load across the PSU (on a hire, so never investigated further than labelling it as dead and getting a spare out), so perhaps check the beltpacks as well as the cabling.

I'd probably unplug all beltpacks/stations, breaking the loop as I went. Plug in PSU then work from the PSU, pluggin in branches/loops til the PSU is unhappy. If the cabling isn't at fault, then add beltpacks until the PSU goes, then you have the dodgy one. Boring and dull, but unlikely to fail.

Check the cabling, check the belt packs. Do a binary search to identify the culprit.

I had a system with exactly the same symptoms as you. One of the nuts holding the xlr in place on a belt pack had come loose, and was rattling about inside the pack, shorting the pcb.

Thanks - Ive just checked the cabling and none of it seems to be broken, will run a spare that I know is definitely working just to make sure and will check the beltpacks too. Thanks for the advice guys. Fingers crossed.

Well I've checked all the beltpacks and they all seem fine - plugged the PSU back into a new loop using the same packs/headsets but new cables. It appears that as soon as I run two packs on the same line that's when the problems start. If I use all three individual lines it seems to work fine but again as soon as I plug in a second pack to any of the three lines - power loss. So I'm guessing its going to be a problem with the PSU itself powering multiple packs (I'm only using 4 - SL, SR, SFX, LX). Not really sure why but that's my best guess unless anyone else can think of something.

The psu should be able to power 16 beltpacks across any combination of outputs.

Sounds like either the PSU is faulty or one of the beltpacks is drawing a lot more power than it should be. Can you put a multimeter in circuit to measure the current draw when each beltpack is added?

Thanks Tim - I will give it a go this afternoon if I can track don't the site mulitmeter (refuse to use my tools at work anymore due to theft). Thanks for the diagrams boatman, if all else fails I can at least pass the PSU onto a friend with the diagrams to see if he can sort it.

Archived