mounting moving heads inside a marquee

mickeylaa

Ok I have stagg headbangers I wont to mount down the marki. what type of clamps would I use here is a rough idea on what im mounting it to. these points in the marki are designed to have things mounted on them

12394507_10208496756646782_2048043510_o.jpg?oh=8100c172601d3c198e0a5e5f04089f7b&oe=5670BE18

Moderation: Title spelling fixed to ensure clarity

Normal disclaimer of if you dont know what your doing dont hang things above peoples heads etc.

Are they ring suspension points you are showing or are you intending on hanging from the frame/bar or the marquee. If so will need to know the exact type of bar/frame.

To fit those lamps to those fitting you need the approved SWL for each point and the weights of everything that has to be hung inc the cables, Then you have to be competent to assess the safety of the potential installation, and have a safe working method for the rigging and derigging. Somehow I think some of that is missing.

And EXACTLY what both the points and the marquee itself is rated to support.

A lot of marquee structures are not rated to hang anything at all - they are purely designed to take marquee components like liners, and some amount of weather.

If the marquee supplier doesn't give you a specific SWL for those point loads, per span and total, in writing then you don't hang anything at all from it.

If it comes down, aside from the "If only's" you'll be feeling, you'll also be defending yourself in court.

If you wouldn't be happy to explain why you hung them there to a judge, you don't hang them.

And if you don't know what I meant above, you're not competent to do this and need to get someone who is.

Google "Marquee collapse". They are scarily common.

Are you suggesting that makes it safe to do? If just one of those falls from the apex of your "huge marquee", a fatality may result.

Out of interest, what effect are you hoping to create in a huge marquee with £130 disco lights from Argos? (the first result I found when googling "Stagg Headbanger"... not a luminaire many others will be familiar with either...)

Oh dear oh dear.

I dont even want to be described as "the person on the internet told me to do this" when your in court, so no input from me other than just dont.

You seemingly have a poor attitude to peoples safety. Do it safely or dont do it.

You are a student electrician so I will assume you have some sort of BS7909 qualification but do you hold PLI?

The basic premise is that the clearspan marquee manufacturers do not give any load whatsoever for their standard products. They sometimes even insist that tents are heated to avoid snow loading. The rings you mention are designed for lining pulleys or starcloth at most, both supported at the eaves. If the marquee really is a very big one then there will be load ratings but they are surprisingly small values for point loads and those fixtures just won't cut it in that size marquee.

This is where it gets awkward, as if the makers will not give you a loading, the makers NOT the owners, then you will be breeching MI's and that could void any insurance you, the promoter or anyone else may have. That is why everyone may seem to be being pedantic. Nobody lasts long in this business by leaving too much to chance, especially when your whole future is often enough on the line.

I have to echo what everyone else has said - get someone in with the relevant skills if you don't have them yourself. You've already talked about using lasers, which needs the right skills, now you're looking at rigging fixtures above heads, which also needs the right expertise. The fact that it's for a one off rave at new year in a temporary venue doesn't diminish the need to do things safely in an way.

DO NOT repeat DO NOT hang ANY moving head from the marquee structure!!!

.......... apart from the weight hanging from a "non conforming truss structure" the actual movement of the moving head WILL cause the marquee to move. Marquees are usually only bolted together loosely (ie not secured in an appropriate way to carry load) or pinned in the corners. They are NOT erected to hold ANY type of moving head OR heavy load!

IF you wish to install moving heads inside a Marquee you MUST have a certified tri truss/box truss system anchored on firm flat ground and INDEPENDENT of the Marquee structure (ie in no way tethered to the Marquee in anyway whatsoever)

Should you continue and ignore the warnings from other posters you WILL be liable for ANY injuries AND the Marquee maybe shut down by council (or appropriate authorities) due to "unsafe practises" therefore ruining the rave altogether.

As a rigger & lighting tech I would NEVER hang anything from a Marquee structure. A Marquee is just a covering for protection from sun/rain but NOT the wind! Marquees are notorious for becoming a huge parachute and blowing away, taking all and sundry with them, those lights will become missiles and kill maim and injure.................... just DONT DO IT!

Archived