spending £600 on laserworld lasers

mickeylaa

You could always avoid the hassle of lasers and use some Elation Sniper 2Rs, but at just over £600 a unit they are just outside of your budget. Nice effect though. Another option is the
. A lot cheaper at around £200, and it uses a 20W LED rather than the 130W 2R lamp the Sniper uses. It doesn't have any gobos or a prism either, but then it is a third of the price of the Sniper :)

using them for a new years rave. they have ilda but I dont have £400 for the software and hard ware..unless theres a way to get it cheaper

Then you dont have the money to use lasers safely.

DMX control doesnt give you any zones, is open to interference, has no e-stop capability, etc etc.

There becomes a point when you have to say no.

Also, might I add. DMX controlled lasers tend to look like absolute crap. So you would have your lasers, but wont get the effects your after.

By law, all Class 4 lasers require a key switch and safety interlock so ILDA is not needed for this. Zones are a software alternative to beam blockers which should always be used over the software alternative due to it just being much safer. Therefore ILDA again is not needed. I do however agree with you partly when you say DMX lasers look crap because some do, but if you take a look at some RTI lasers you will see that they too have DMX and these are used on several large music festivals and are astounding. As for the OP asking about CS-1000 RGB's I'd say don't go near them. Galvo's are awful and break a lot, colour mixing is worse than anything I have seen in a long time and the in built DMX programming is horrendous. This is not to mention the alignment and divergence on the beams, however I really do advise you to come up with a laser alternative or a lower powered device because Class 4 will cause permanent eye damage in under a second if direct eye exposure occurs. Please be very careful.

Sorry, my point about zones wasnt just regarding safety, but also projection zones for more looks/areas out of less units. Laser blocks on the apature is of course the way to do it.

Also not only the fact you can blind someone needs to be thought about. If you got away with not blinding someone with a badly positioned or setup laser, you could also be taking out camera sensors/projectors etc left right and centre if you do it badly.

Ive also seen some nasty burns from someone climbing a truss infront of a laser - which I must point out were nothing to do with me on that gig.

The point we are all trying to make OP is that lasers are "hassle". Lots of paperwork, lots of expense, very dangerous especially to the untrained, and in my opinion your 300 quid laser wont give you the "look" you have probably seen over this years festival season.

You could always avoid the hassle of lasers and use some Elation Sniper 2Rs, but at just over £600 a unit they are just outside of your budget. Nice effect though. Another option is the

. A lot cheaper at around £200, and it uses a 20W LED rather than the 130W 2R lamp the Sniper uses. It doesn't have any gobos or a prism either, but then it is a third of the price of the Sniper :)

Those Snipers are damn nifty!!!! Think I would prefer those to laser!

Sorry, my point about zones wasnt just regarding safety, but also projection zones for more looks/areas out of less units. Laser blocks on the apature is of course the way to do it.

Also not only the fact you can blind someone needs to be thought about. If you got away with not blinding someone with a badly positioned or setup laser, you could also be taking out camera sensors/projectors etc left right and centre if you do it badly.

Ive also seen some nasty burns from someone climbing a truss infront of a laser - which I must point out were nothing to do with me on that gig.

The point we are all trying to make OP is that lasers are "hassle". Lots of paperwork, lots of expense, very dangerous especially to the untrained, and in my opinion your 300 quid laser wont give you the "look" you have probably seen over this years festival season.

Completely agree. OP - Try to find a substitute because to get the proper look you will have seen at festivals, training is required as well as horrendously expensive bits of kit.

Some,er, time ago club here had a 5W Innova mixed gas, true whitelight laser, major installation,thing is about length of a big chest freezer , three phase , water chillers , pipes and cables everywhere, was also mounted beside the beer chillers. Fibre feed to remote colour box and scanning heads. Price of a nice city flat.

In average working night, 10-5, would run for about 30 mins tops, an hour with a long pre prog show in there for something like New Year, because even with all the power and majesty of a big laser that can manage a true liquid sky in any colour, effect loses its impact if over used. Bang for buck they got better value out of the chasing neon along the trusses.

Like all lasers they are maintenance hogs and the colour box began to get dusty and the tube pressire began to go up, think it eventually went in a skip.

Buy loads of LED pinspots, lots of them for 600 quid.

When I think warehouse parties, I think old, old, moving lightings, often moving mirrors. Cyberlights, 918s, that kind of thing. Which can, if you've the skill and time to maintain them, be had very cheaply 3rd hand. They will give you the sort of look you need, you just need a big investment of time to keep them working.

So here we are again on the safety of laser issue. Most disco Dave (ebay) lasers have a key, which is a complete and utter waste of time. There should be an electronic stepper motor no longer pulling current failsafe.

then all the problems with disco Dave not being trained properly would disappear, because even the 1000mW units when scanning are safe to point directly into a crowd as long as the steppers are moving.

So here we are again on the safety of laser issue. Most disco Dave (ebay) lasers have a key, which is a complete and utter waste of time. There should be an electronic stepper motor no longer pulling current failsafe.

then all the problems with disco Dave not being trained properly would disappear, because even the 1000mW units when scanning are safe to point directly into a crowd as long as the steppers are moving.

Its called Scan Failsafe but the maths behind power density and Maximum Permitted Exposure , MPE, really aren`t that simple.

• 1 month later...

Archived