Theatre examples wanted!

gareth

So, what I'm looking for is examples of theatres which are of a fairly specific type - namely, venues with a larger main space with a capacity somewhere in the region of 400-700, and a smaller studio-style space in the 100-250 capacity range, and which are either exclusively producing venues or which programme a mix of in-house produced work and visiting touring product. Places like Chichester Festival Theatre, Salisbury Playhouse, Hampstead Theatre - that sort of thing.

Your challenge is to give me as many examples of this sort of theatre as you can think of!! If you happen to actually work at such a theatre, and you fancy getting in touch with me either by e-mail or by private message on this forum, that would be even better.

Thanks.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crucible Sheffield

E2A - Just looked and the main house is too big for your criteria.

E again 2A and Chichester is even bigger

Size isn't important! ;-) I only plucked those figures out of the air to give a bit of context. If it's a main house of 1000+, or a studio of less than 100, it's not especially important. The main criteria is that it's a producing venue staging their own work in two (or more) spaces.

The Lichfield Garrick (Where I used to work).

Would an educational institution count? If so, LIPA (Where I currently work!)

Also, the studio may be a little on the large side, but there's also Curve in Leicester. (Where I sometimes work!)

Crucible Sheffield

The Crucible immediately sprang to my mind when the Chichester Festival Theatre was mentioned - they have much in common. The Crucible's old rival just up the M1 fits the bill too - West Yorkshire Playhouse.

Would an educational institution count? If so, LIPA (Where I currently work!)

If things attached to educational institutions count then the ADC Theatre, Cambridge. Main space of 228, studio space of 40 and also manages another studio space of 80. Produces anything up to 7 shows a week but more usually 5 or 6 during term.

Theatre by the lake, keswick.

Everyman theatre Cheltenham

West yorkshire playhouse, leeds

Birmingham rep.

Oxford Playhouse.

Liverpool everyman & playhouse

Sheffield theatres.

Sherman theatre, cardiff.

Stephen joseph theatre, scarborough

Traverse theatre, edinburgh.

Belgrade theatre, coventry.

Theatre Royal Bath. (Has the ustinov studio & the Egg, for young persons theatre.)

Watford Palace

Queens theatre hornchurch

Though after a quick google, they dont have studios.

Im not sure if the theatre royal plymouth counts, as I dont think they produce much of their own stuff, but I might be wrong.

There's probably more, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, having either toured through the venues, or knew people who worked/toured there.

I'm a season regular at chichester, so if you have any specifics relating to there, then let me know.

Thanks.

Neil.

In Brum, there is the REP, and two slight curves - the Crescent Theatre (semi pro venue with an in house amateur company, also receives pro shows), and BOA (my old employer) who have the Old Rep in town and the studio in the main campus. BOA produce youth/education content, receive pro content, and are now producing pro content.

Was also going to suggest West Yorkshire Playhouse (750/350).

There's the Ipswich New Wolsey (400) which has the Wolsey Studio (105), is primarily a producing venue but the Studio is a few streets away rather than on the same plot, if that makes a difference.

There's the National, as well, I guess.

Was going to say the National, and also the RSC.

Young Vic

Bristol Old Vic (not sure if they produce in their studio (the New Vic) but always used to)

Traverse (again, not sure if they produce in the studio)

Archived