Theatre examples wanted!

gareth

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the Royal Exchange in Manchester count?

(What do you need these for?)

It does, yes - thanks, good suggestion. Not in a position to elaborate on the reason at the moment. All in due course.

The Lichfield Garrick (Where I used to work).

Would an educational institution count? If so, LIPA (Where I currently work!)

Also, the studio may be a little on the large side, but there's also Curve in Leicester. (Where I sometimes work!)

Curve is a good one, thanks.

Educational institutions not really applicable.

Is the Garrick a producing venue? Can't see any evidence of in-house production in the 'what's on' list on their website.

Crucible Sheffield

The Crucible immediately sprang to my mind when the Chichester Festival Theatre was mentioned - they have much in common. The Crucible's old rival just up the M1 fits the bill too - West Yorkshire Playhouse.

Crucible and WYP both good examples, thanks.

Theatre by the lake, keswick.

Everyman theatre Cheltenham

West yorkshire playhouse, leeds

Birmingham rep.

Oxford Playhouse.

Liverpool everyman & playhouse

Sheffield theatres.

Sherman theatre, cardiff.

Stephen joseph theatre, scarborough

Traverse theatre, edinburgh.

Belgrade theatre, coventry.

Theatre Royal Bath. (Has the ustinov studio & the Egg, for young persons theatre.)

I'm a season regular at chichester, so if you have any specifics relating to there, then let me know.

Lots of good examples there, thanks. Might well be in touch privately at some point re. CFT.

There's the Ipswich New Wolsey (400) which has the Wolsey Studio (105), is primarily a producing venue but the Studio is a few streets away rather than on the same plot, if that makes a difference.

There's the National, as well, I guess.

New Wolsey is a useful example - detached studio doesn't make a difference.

Nataional isn't really representative of what I'm looking for.

Young Vic

Bristol Old Vic (not sure if they produce in their studio (the New Vic) but always used to)

Traverse (again, not sure if they produce in the studio)

Useful, thanks.

The Lichfield Garrick (Where I used to work).

Curve is a good one, thanks.

Educational institutions not really applicable.

Is the Garrick a producing venue? Can't see any evidence of in-house production in the 'what's on' list on their website.

They used to have the Lichfield Garrick Rep Company- it was more receiving than producing, but there was something there. Just had a look through the brochure/website myself, and that seems to have disappeared nowadays it would seem!

Well, if size doesn't matter, how about country? :)

The Empire Theatre here in Toowoomba (Queensland) is kind of interesting.

It has a 1600 seat main theatre plus a studio area as per your description. However, it's also taken over an old church and church hall next door and converted those into performance/function spaces as well.

The mix of productions is both touring shows and local productions as you specify.

Details here: http://www.empiretheatre.com.au/venues/

If country doesn't matter, the Court Theatre in Christchurch, New Zealand (my old stomping ground) has a ~500 seat main house and produce smaller works in The Forge. In its previous pre-earthquake incarnation, the Forge used to be a 120 seat second space. Now, as far as I can figure out, it's kind of a pop-up space in the rehearsal room of the theatre. Fully producing house though.

OK, moving this on a bit ... if you know anyone who works in the technical departments (ideally LX, but technical or production management would be useful as well) at any of the following venues and wouldn't mind dropping me a private message with their e-mail address, that would be very much appreciated. Even better, if you happen to work at one of them and wouldn't mind getting in touch, that would be amazing.

Curve, Leicester

Crucible, Sheffield

West Yorkshire Playhouse

Young Vic

Chichester Festival Theatre

Some of the other examples given in this thread so far will also be really useful, but I already have contacts for those, so just the five above would be great if anyone can help.

Many thanks.

Size isn't important! ;-) I only plucked those figures out of the air to give a bit of context. If it's a main house of 1000+, or a studio of less than 100, it's not especially important. The main criteria is that it's a producing venue staging their own work in two (or more) spaces.

All with 2 performance spaces

Royal Opera House

Stephen Joseph

Unicorn Theatre

Globe

Might be a bit late joining the party but there's Nottingham Playhouse, Main House has 750 capacity and they have their Ustinov Room (studio) but that is normally for talks rather than produced work.

Archived