Extra Dangerous Electrocute-o-daptor

Ynot

Note that the inbuilt lamp test feature only works if the electrocute-o-daptor is plugged into a trailing socket. If plugged into a metal clad fixed socket I think that it would instead test the OCPD of the fixed wiring.:rolleyes:

Couldn't help noticing that the adaptor Clive has displays a CE mark on the front - which either means it slipped through the net or the manufacturers slapped the decal on illegally...

I imagine actually that it displays the Chinese Exports mark, which is criminally similar to our CE mark.

chinese export mark warning

As far as I can determine this "Chinese Exports mark" is an urban myth.

http://icqc.co.uk/en/china-export.php/CE-mark.php (also even Wikipedia says so, so it must be true)

Basically they are just putting the CE mark on without testing.

As far as I can determine this "Chinese Exports mark" is an urban myth.

http://icqc.co.uk/en/china-export.php/CE-mark.php (also even Wikipedia says so, so it must be true)

Basically they are just putting the CE mark on without testing.

Hmm, intriguing, although the report does state that there is nothing 'official' about the chinese exports mark it does say that the mistake relates to the misproportioning of dimensions (or some phrase) of the mark. I would be dubious about any item which cannot print the CE mark correctly. I was first told about the chinese exports mark at a white light training course so took it be true.

"The Commission is in constant discussion with Chinese authorities in order to ensure that Chinese exporters respect Community legislation."

Ha! Good luck with that.

I've worked with a few Chinese manufacturers and they mostly just copy stuff, badly.

We sent them a full set of CAD files of what they were supposed to be making. They copied the PDF of the CAD and drew it out again, with loads of mistakes.

I am sure that any mis-proportions of the CE mark are just down to bad copying rather than any deliberate change in dimensions. They really wouldn't care about that sort of thing.

The CE mark may be printed by the manufacturers BUT it's the importer of the item into the EU EC WC whatever it's called today who actually has the full and unlimited product liability for the item. Actually it's about time some importers DID get required to put things through an EU test house.

The CE mark may be printed by the manufacturers BUT it's the importer of the item into the EU EC WC whatever it's called today who actually has the full and unlimited product liability for the item.

Unfortunately an awful lot of dodgy equipment is sold direct from overseas via Amazon, eBay, etc. And I suspect many importers would instantly liquidate if there was a product liability claim against them.

Archived