10 Pole XLR

Yorkie

Just seen this video from Plasa Show London 2015 that briefly outlines the Neutrik 10 pin XLR:

General consensus between my Facebook friends is that it's an unnecessary gimmick and Neutrik don't appear to have released any more information on it. Anyone know what the thinking behind it is, or how developed it is?

(It's not April 1st by the way)

Well, he sort of answers the question in the video...

Some in the industry have ASKED for something to replace the ethernet/ethercon option with something more robust.

And I wouldn't have thought there would be a massive development outlay on making what will essentially be a different inner for their standard XLR shells. The hardest bit would be getting sufficient air-gap between the 10 pins (though there will be worse connectors to solder up out there... )

I'm having difficulty imagining that the 10 tiny pins would be more "robust" than the RJ45 insert in an Ethercon. (In fact, I was musing that the ideal way would be to arrange them in rows with a plastic insert to support them...ie: exactly what an Ethercon already is...) The 7-pin XLRs were already using pins that were too small for my liking.

Well, he sort of answers the question in the video...

Some in the industry have ASKED for something to replace the ethernet/ethercon option with something more robust.

And I wouldn't have thought there would be a massive development outlay on making what will essentially be a different inner for their standard XLR shells. The hardest bit would be getting sufficient air-gap between the 10 pins (though there will be worse connectors to solder up out there... )

There was already an alternative, although in practice maybe it didn't prove better. The round Ethernet connector is still used by Martin as the data link on the MLA series, but I notice Link is no longer offering it in their mulitpins.

I am not a big fan of Ethercon connectors, having the XL shell engaged does not necessarily mean the RJ45 is seated correctly, although it is nice that someone thought about strain relief on CAT5 lines. It remains to be seen if this new Neutrik is a success, and I hope they will specify which wires go on which pins because it is critical in high speed data that the twist is carried as far into the connector as possible. The 2 power pins are a bonus if your gear can run on low voltage, it will be able to carry more current than POE can supply.

While the RJ series of connectors have been around for a long time, I remember the first time I saw them replacing hardwired handsets on telephone thinking "this crappy connector won't be around long". Oh well...

I'm taking a wait and see position.

Mac

I've noticed that Ethercon sockets can be broken quite easily - one of our customers has a number of personal mix stations that have problems. It seems that the inner part comes away from the shell if it gets knocked badly enough. Of course, if the socket is PCB mounted it's an expensive repair. I wonder if a 10-pin XLR would be any better.

I was at the showmans show today, speaking to the neutrik rep, who was at the show with a stand.

I saw a physical demo and 'back end' of the 10 pin, and the d panel connector.

It seems quite easy to solder, with 2 levels of lengths of solder cups on the rear, not as crammed as you would think.

Its designed with the insert being the only different bit, so standard replacement bits available (coloured sleeves etc) from normal XLRs.

Shipping late Jan I have been told.

edited to add: 2 of the pins are bigger than the rest, for poe I assume.

If 10-pin XLR replaces Ethercon, is the plan to have cables that are male-female and sexed panel connectors, like conventional XLRs, or will it remain like ethercon, where the cables are the same sex either end and couplers are required to extend them?

I guess as Ethernet is bi-directional, the ethercon/RJ45 gender method probably makes most sense. For audio or DMX, where direction of travel is a very definite thing it seems to make sense to do male to female, but once you start passing data back and forth I think male on the cable and female on the equipment works.

Archived