10 Pole XLR

Yorkie

For audio or DMX, where direction of travel is a very definite thing it seems to make sense to do male to female...

Except it's backwards for audio....

Depends if you're thinking of the audio or the power...

As much as I like the idea of this connector, (to replace the horrid RJ45) I am worried that the mixed voltage applications that people are talking about with this connector is going to cause some major headaches along the line.

In the worst possible scenario, it can only be as bad as the current headache with RJ45's carrying any sort of signal / power you can care to think of. If it helps simplify the situation by putting power down the same two pins every time, and only data (or actual PoE compliant power) on the signal pins life will be much simpler.

I particularly like the Anolis LED power supplies we have in one of my venues. DMX in / out, on RJ45's (requiring an RJ45 - XLR jumper for each unit). LED drive output on, er, RJ45's. All connectors in a line on the bottom of the unit, so if you've got a friendly installer who used all the same colour cat5, it becomes complete pot luck as to whether you blow the line driver up in your lighting desk.

The two power pins are apparently capable of 16a (according to neutrik at LDI). The main design idea is for video panels etc, where currently both data and power is daisy chained separately between the units

This would be a complete and utter pain for fault finding. Given that most screen faults are data related, more often than not due to poor connections (ethercon being as bad as all the rest), the last thing you want to do is to have to pull power to a panel for a simple data fault.

You also want a power connector that can be removed under load. 16A arcing when up in the air makes you jump.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived