Strobe lights led v anolog..tripping mcb

mickeylaa

alright guys I have about £1000 to spend on lighting! im looking at 4X Stagg LED Moving Head Headbanger 10 and now currently looking for led strobe lights. I have a 1500w equinox firecracker strobe but it keeps tripping the circuit breakers up to 32a! now I cant change circuit breakers to type c or d just for the strobes. so I have been looking at led ones can anyone help?

heres one here https://www.bax-shop...yOCMaAmqf8P8HAQ but would this be close enough as bright as the 1500w tube?

Given that LED and xenon discharge tubes are both reasonable efficient, I'm fairly confident that an LED strobe with 1/20 of the power consumption of the xenon will be significantly less bright....

The energy output per pulse is what you need to know. For the 80w LED unit, some of that power is used by the control electronics and some is turned into heat. Say half of it is turned into light - at 10 flashes per second you're getting 4 joules of energy per flash, but a quick google for 1500w strobes shows flash discharge as 70 - 100 joules!

but woudlnt it still trip the pc with there peak currents etc? like im going into small / medium venues and just plugging my lights etc into sockets already there. I try split them as much as I can using multiple breakers but still the tripping is just horrific

what about this one http://lighthouseaudiovisual.co.uk/eurolite-led-strobe-cob-pro-6x10w-DMX-48249-p.asp?gclid=CJCAztS2qcgCFYaD2wodY78Avw 6x10w leds?

ok so I did a post before but was in the wrong section I think. I have a equinox fire cracker strobe 1500w but it trips the circuit breakers because there inductive? so im going all led!!

I found a equinox firecracker strobe thats all led it had 6x10w leds will that be just as bright was the 1500w? http://lighthouseaudiovisual.co.uk/equinox-lightning-cracker-2-strobe-56180-p.asp?gclid=CPTW4KW3qcgCFUSe2wody-APDg

Almost certainly not, as that's a lot less LED power than the xenon and the efficiency is not that different, but strobe brightness is very subjective and you'd have to test one to be sure.

If the power figures are accurate then the xenon would do about 75000 lumens, (50 lumens per W approx) and the LED would do about 6000 lumens (100 lumens per W at absolute best). So less than 10 times the intensity.

I have a 1500w equinox firecracker strobe but it keeps tripping the circuit breakers up to 32a

How old is your strobe.

I have 2 of them and I have had both pluged in together to the one 13 amp socket over the the one extension lead and never had any problems at all. both where running at full power and at the same time and rate.

I am thinking your strobe maybe faulty or has a fault. If you go down the LED rout try and get some to try out first as it may help you to make your mind up and also get a price for getting the firecracker fixed.

Strobes have always had the disadvantage that the inrush current can be quite like a motor, and trip the protection. Charging the capacitors up ready for the discharge is totally unlike the LED versions where they are simply drawing current or not. The type of strobe effect is quite different - a very quick blast of light. The LEDs are on for longer, so appear to be bright. Even modestly speccified LED strobes are very bright to the eyes - going from off to on suddenly, but a bit longer than the very brief tube discharge in the old ones. Not sure they're better, just different?

Moderation: This was a bit of a mess - and I merged them, and then tried to remove the comments about the 'other' topic. I've edited as best I can now the two topics are merged, but if anyone's input has got a bit bent - sorry, but I did my best! I've left it in lighting as it seems the best place for it.

Almost certainly not, as that's a lot less LED power than the xenon and the efficiency is not that different, but strobe brightness is very subjective and you'd have to test one to be sure.

If the power figures are accurate then the xenon would do about 75000 lumens, (50 lumens per W approx) and the LED would do about 6000 lumens (100 lumens per W at absolute best). So less than 10 times the intensity.

Just for interest,proper LED strobes heavily over drive the LEDs for a very short pulse, so overall duty cycle and heat dissipation averages out, but the LED may get driven at several times its rated current. Look at a CP Stormy, top end of LED strobes, has LEDs with massively thick bond wires.

Anther option is lots and lots of 5050 LEDs on the panel

Efficacy dosen`t really increase and the delivering high current in nice sharp short pulses isn`t that easy, it`s easy to flash an LED that`s how they`re dimmed , but flashing them at high intensity is trickier and expensive to implement well.

Definately a try before you buy item , xenons still give a sharper flash unless spend good money to replicate it.

Just for interest,proper LED strobes heavily over drive the LEDs for a very short pulse, so overall duty cycle and heat dissipation averages out

It may average out, but I'm sure overdriving it like that does wonders for the lifespan and long term reliability. Not.......

The CP Stormy strobes can stay on constantly. (According to the demo I saw yesterday at Plasa). I may have misheard (it seemed to be narrated by Troy McClure) but I think they said something about achieving full brightness for extended periods. Certainly they're pitching them as an alternative to house lights or workers.

I'm sure CP will have thought about the potential ramifications, but it'd be interesting to see what steps they've taken to avoid premature failure.

The CP Stormy strobes can stay on constantly. (According to the demo I saw yesterday at Plasa). I may have misheard (it seemed to be narrated by Troy McClure) but I think they said something about achieving full brightness for extended periods. Certainly they're pitching them as an alternative to house lights or workers.

I'm sure CP will have thought about the potential ramifications, but it'd be interesting to see what steps they've taken to avoid premature failure.

make darn expensive workers ;-)

Wick is turned down for long duration, 960W for short pulse down to 720W for longer duration(possibly actually watt seconds) , probably lower on continuous.

http://www.claypaky.it/en/news/stormy_the_latest_led_technology_meets_the_charm_of_a_classic_strobe_first_international_preview_at_prolight_sound_2014

Bond wire is the wire internal to an LED, normally needs a magnifying glass to see, loops in the front of the LED dice, on the Stormy`s LEDs the bond wire looks like a bit of gold plated 15A fuse wire, unusual LEDs.

this one has 6 x 10 leds http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/lighting-c1/strobes-c65/lightning-cracker-2-strobe-p2145/s2218?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=equinox-lightning-cracker-2-strobe&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CIDjyMHnq8gCFSGe2wod4tsKdQ

do you think 2 of these would be good for small/ medium places like 200/400 people + 4 stagg headbanger 10 heads all strobing at the same time?

Archived