I need a handheld wireless mic system

ingeborgdot

I just mean I assumed you would stick the receiver on the camera? It's the simplest way, or were you thinking no wireless at all, and just plug a mic into the camera? This would be the best way - but the short distance would be reliable enough with a radio system. If the camera is 'glued' to the presenter, then a cable is fine. Personally, I'm happy with Sennheiser. Shure wouldn't worry me, and I know you US people love Lectrosonics - but the price for me is a bit high for what they do. TV wise, we see Sony and Audio Ltd here being quite popular. but through choice, I'd be happy with a G3 300 or 500 series for this kind of thing.

You know, I am really kind of a bone head at times. Why don't I just do it a cheap way right now and plug the mic right into the camera. That would save me more than $300 right now. Sometimes, I just don't think. Thanks for opening up my eyes. Why go wireless, when I wouldn't need to. RIGHT????

You can spend £tens on a cheap wireless system.

You can spend £hundreds on a decent quality wireless system

You can spend £thousands on a broadcast quality system

And if you take that broadcast quality system, and spend a lot of time setting it up just right, you’ll get something that sounds almost as good as, and is almost as reliable as a £5 piece of wire....

I do that all the time and even send multi channel audio back to the mixer via HD/SDI.

We also use the blackmagic camera system and with the converters you can also get a 4 wire talkback circuit on channels 15+16 via SDI to fibre.

My std ENG set-up is a G2 lav on the presenter CH1, G2 radio stick CH2 and camera FX mic on 3+4 of the HD SDI to the sat truck.

A few years ago we did five hours live each day for SKY racing Australia from all over Goodwood with just a radio stick G3 and a gigawave linked camera to the sat truck.

Cheapest and probably best quality is cable mic straight to camera connector, do you actually NEED wireless?

Also the safest if you are turning up to major sport events as there may be lots of RF problems and even worse the 50k PA system on the same frequency that you were planning to use!

Probably it's best to keep the audio and video together so that there can be no lip sync issues with sound going one way and video going another with different latency.

Now if you actually need a wireless mic for the short distance from presenter to camera, then your link integrity issues are much less, BUT you still have to frequency plan with all other users PA, Broadcast, Security, match officials etc, and may find that there are two few channels for everyone to have one, according to location and licence (fees)

All that you don't yet have is a talkback link from producer to presenter to cue comments.

agin, why does the mic need to be radio?

I always prefer to minimise the complexity, and if it was me, assuming that the camera has XLR with Phantom Power, I'd just run a longish lead into the camera.

A decent radio mic is always far more expensive than the equivalent cable based mic

It doesn't. I am hooking the mic up to the camera, then sound will come out through the AV connection and into the Balun along with the video and up into the booth on the same cable. I just wasn't thinking when I thought I would need a wireless connection is all. I would rather not have wireless if I can help it.

Talkback to the presenters - otherwise, how will they know when to start speaking? If the idea is to send the video (and now audio) to something - this is either a switcher for mixing sources, or a feed to a recorder or something else. The people on the grass need to know when you are ready - a simple walkie talkie and earpiece or whatever. I can't think you won't need something. Gary mentioned it too when he mentioned the black magic system where the audio side is multichannel, embedded in the video stream.

Archived