FM Transmitter

Emmien

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emmiem, where in the usa are you?

I think he has implied that he is in the UK with this:

The guys in the US said it is definitely fine and they cannot fine you because it is "Fair use" to broadcast music for a Christmas light display, but I didn't believe them and laws are different here, of course.

Mac

In the UK - there is no such thing as fair use when it comes to OFCOM. There are so many ways you can break the law. Sure, they don't have the resources to police it properly, but there are fundamentals here. Going across your car is a communications link designed for just you and your passengers. Using the same item to provide audio for people out of your direct control becomes broadcasting, and even with nW outputs is not allowed without a license, which you could of course apply for and use for a restricted period, and spend an awful lot of money hiring the equipment and setting up systems to pay the copyright clearances required.

What the OP wants to do is harmless, but illegal. His choice, but doing it legally will be expensive, so the question is simple - how criminal do you want to become? Few people would consider it much different to speeding - but pirate broadcasting is a Criminal Offence.

The Government say

Pirate broadcasts are made by broadcasters that do not have a licence issued under Section 1 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949.

Anyone involved with pirate broadcasting, even if they allow their premises to be used, or if they advertise on a station commits an offence. The maximum penalties, at Crown Court, are unlimited fine and two years in prison.

Average fines are of course much less than unlimited - typically £200-500

So I guess it's how lucky you feel. However, as christmas displays attract publicity when they are good ones, the chances of somebody checking what you are doing is higher?

I can't decide whether to risk it or annoy the neighbors with louder outdoor speakers.

James Aleksic didn't have any problems, but that was a low range device. Many animated displays in the country do this, including one which was on the TV a few years ago, and he said he broadcast over FM on national TV. I don't think he got in any trouble.

That unit is illegal to use in the UK.

Apart from it being (quick calculation) ten million times more powerful than is allowed without a license, it is not CE marked so you'd not get a license for it even if one was available!

That device would also be seized on entry if it was inspected, and you'd lose the device and the money.

In your first post you said "or would I get into trouble?" So you are thinking of importing an illegal to use, and have in your possession device, that has no approval for UK/Europe, and you intend using it to broadcast music? Well, that's pushing fate a bit, isn't it?

How about you tell us why we should be helping you to break the law?

I doubt very much that I'm the only person on this site to have been affected by someone popping up on a frequency they have no right to use, and I don't think we should be helping them, regardless of how little they might be fined if they get caught or how pretty their lights look. Especially when everything said will then be available to anyone who fancies a go without even thinking about the consequences thanks to Google.

Many of us could make this work, but what we are trying to explain is that in the UK you should not be doing this. Any form of advertising that says tune your radio to 106.1 or whatever is potentially going to get you under the authorities beady eye. Sending music to persons unknown is broadcasting, local area broadcasting, which is controlled. You could legitimately apply for a license as we've said, but the costs will be disproportionate. What you want to do is against the law. 88-108MHz is a broadcast band, and people pay to broadcast there. Of course you can do it illegally, and take the chance, but we're not going to help you - that would be stupid and irresponsible.

That device would also be seized on entry if it was inspected...

As would probably be whatever is the program source material provider, in this case, presumably, a PC.

Given the constraints, the only legal route available to the OP is speakers. Which brings the issue of neighbours. Suggestions include negotiation, limit time and duration of use (ie, have music sync'd "shows" of a specified length on the hour or something). Emotional blackmail can help, have collection box for well known and respected charity, and argue that neighbour is against helping <insert good cause here>.

Yes. I was going to use speakers in boxes stuck on the fence for passers by, but I will probably have to turn them higher so people in their cars can here.

Would the council be able to allow me to do it if it for a charity?

I wanted to run the show on repeat for hours, but the outdoor speakers only for some time, and the FM the rest. I suppose I can't do this.

It is annoying that other people are using FM transmitters fine and have not been in any trouble

Archived