FM Transmitter

Emmien

Here's the application form for PRS

PRS link

You also need a PPL license, but they don't have a category that quite fits so you need to contact them - some categories are charged by the hour (or class) and are not too expensive.

How happy are your neighbours? Do they like the passing visitors or does your project cause them grief? This makes the difference between the Council being happy, or slapping severe restrictions on what you can do. If your neighbours support the project, the council will probably be happy. One grumpy neighbour and expect severe restrictions or a ban.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the application form for PRS

PRS link

You also need a PPL license, but they don't have a category that quite fits so you need to contact them - some categories are charged by the hour (or class) and are not too expensive.

I would assume the license required would be something very similar (if not the same!) as that required for a village/school fete. I'm sure there used to be one that a DJ could get when playing music in an unlicensed venue.. :unsure:

I think registering with PRS is a bit too much.

I know that you are supposed to do it, even if you are just playing to the public our loud, but I don't believe that anybody who does this type of display has done it. Many many public places don't even do it, and they don't get in trouble.

So I am confused... Is it legal to use the in-car transmitters to do this? You say it is legal to use them, but I am not using them in a car and am using it to get music to many people's cars, and somebody above said they use it for a Christmas Light display and have not got in trouble.

From the Ofcom website here Guide to law

My bold,it may not just be the transmitter that you lose if they call.

"Search warrants

A Justice of the Peace in England and Wales, in Scotland a Sheriff and in Northern Ireland a lay magistrate may grant a search warrant under section 97 of the 2006 Act. Such warrants are valid for three months in England and Wales and one month in Scotland and Northern Ireland. They allow those authorised by Ofcom to enter premises etc with or without constables, to search there and to examine and test any apparatus found.

Under Section 99(2) of the 2006 Act, the warrant may authorise the seizure and detention, for the purposes of legal proceedings, of any apparatus or thing found which appears to have been used in connection with, or to be evidence of, the commission of certain offences under the 2006 Act.

Seizure without warrant

Power is given in Section 99(3) of the 2006 Act for constables, or those authorised by Ofcom, to seize and detain without warrant, for the purposes of legal proceedings, certain apparatus or things found where they have reasonable grounds to suspect that certain offences have been or are being committed"

Look - the law is clear. As we have said until we're blue in the face, you ask for advice - we give it. You are free to ignore it, and take the risk, but please - if you are waiting for us to say yep, it's fine, do it, you won't get caught AND that we approve of you doing it, forget it - because much of what we do is negotiating the licensing and management of events. We follow the rules. We try to be on the right side of the law.

Other people doing it illegally doesn't mean it's acceptable. You don't REGISTER with PRS, they are legally collecting money for their members when people USE their product. Loads of people hate it, and feel music should be free. That is a different argument and plenty of people resent paying for music. This is fine. We don't like paying taxes, we object quite strongly sometimes, but it's the law.

You can use a legal car transmitter - the ones approved for use in the UK and CEPT approved. They just don't travel very far. anything more powerful is illegal. If you hang one in a tree close to the road, then that's as good as legal systems get. You could perhaps argue this is personal use - a judge would decide, afterwards. If you stick up any sign or publish the frequency, then it's broadcasting and illegal.

Archived