Smoke from a Freezer

jamesdesilva

Hi All,

So I work in a role-play based entertainment attraction where we have an ice-cream factory. We have a fully-functioning freezer that is currently frosting up nicely to make it look authentic. What our content-team are looking for is to have smoke coming from the freezer when it's opened each time, as an effect.

Can anyone think of a cheap/easy way of making this work without drilling into the freezer and piping in smoke from an external smoke machine?

Any help appreciated.

James.

How often is it opened ?

Could it be filled with smoke and left? (Refilling between openings) Problem is that chilling the smoke makes it fall

A chunk of dry ice left in there might work.

Or just buy a cheap chest freezer/ get one from free cycle I bought one locally for £20 for my girlfriend and when we moved couldn't give it away. Then you can drill it

Incense? A smoke pellet? Portable smoker inside the chest with DMX cable through the seal? All sorts of possibilities, just think sideways.

If the lid is pulled up sharply any low lying dry-ice smoke will be pulled up with the downdraft of air rushing in so the possibilities are endless, just practice until you get the right amount and effect.

James, you may be over-thinking this one.

If the freezer you have is 'frosting up nicely' as you say, (assuming it's not a frost-free unit and is literally building up a coating of ice inside), then in the presumably warmer than normal conditions on stage under lights etc you may well find that as the door is opened you will get a natural conversion of the cold frosty air inside to steam, giving just the effect you're after...

Give it a try

Archived