Scaffolding frame

alistermorton

This isn't directly a theatre related question, but I thought I'd pick some informed brains. My partner has a small photographic studio, and wants to put some hi-glide up to suspend her flash heads from. The problem is the roof is a) not horizontal and b) supported on thin wooden beams.So fixing the higlide support bars (which are alu scaff) straight to the ceiling isn't going to be possible.

So what we thought was a rectangular scaff frame, standing on scaff legs with bracing, and then suspending the higlide from that. The studio isn't large, and the area we're covering is about 3m x 3m. We were going ot anchor th eframe ot th ebeams to stop side to side movement, but the weight woul dbe borne by the floor.

The flash heads are Bowens gemini 500 and weigh 3.5kg, plus about the same for the diffusers so total 7kg per unit. There are three units.

What we want to know is what, if any, documentation or signing off would be needed on this free standing structure?

EDIT: Thinking about it, the area is nearer 4m x 4.5m

Assuming it is a "private place" as opposed to a licensed performance space there's no legal requirements for anything at all and only the HSAW requirements for anything you do/use in your place of work to be reasonably constructed to be appropriate to the job it's doing and not present any obvious immediate risks of injury as assessed by a competent person rather than any official regulated or certified person.

I would use keyclamp rather than staff fixings.

I have a studio that uses a similar set up but bigger with doughty pantographs that ultimately hang off keyclamp from the ceiling. It looks a bit better than scaff connectors.

Archived