pre show safety announcements

an event that I attend has a pre-show safety announcement read over the PA 10 mins before the performance.

This has now grown to about one side of A4 and IMHO has lost it's impact due to the excessive length.

I tend to think that an announcement should ask people to read the safety info provided, rather than bang on about staying seated when taking photos etc.

opinions?

what also doesn't help is that there may be a 10% non engilish as first language contingent

Loads of places don't do them - including west end venues. As far as I'm aware, they're just a historical thing some venues started in the mists of time and then carried on. Rather like showing the iron, it's not been in many licenses for years - and in fact the iron isn't even mentioned in the current license. We test and maintain annually, but that's it!

I don't mind them personally as long as they don't go on too long like you say. A full page of A4 (even with large type) is taking it a ways OTT.

My own stance is that you can show people signs and notices as often as you want BUT getting them to actually READ them is often nigh on impossible. Making a short, snappy and to the point verbal statement as the doors close FoH serves a couple of purposes - a) it tells them clearly about specific rules that we need them to follow or advice they need to be given and b) it also gives them a prod that the show's about to start and they can settle down instead of chatting across the aisles or between rows with their mates.

On the odd occasion I do them I HAVE to write it down (else I tie my tongue in knots!) and it goes something like this...

"Ladies & Gentlemen, good evening and welcome to the Abbey Theatre and the (insert company name)'s performance of (insert show name). Please take a moment to turn off all mobile phones and other notice making devices, and note that the taking of photographs, video and audio recordings during the show is against theatre policy. Please also note that during tonight's performance there will be flashing lights and pyrotechnic effect sed on stage. Thank you and enjoy the show."

We don't do entrance/exit detail and we seldom do anything more than this at all as it's largely unnecessary.

From time to time, if there's a specific potential hazard that might need highlighting that could get added but only if it IS a hazard.

The best ones however are done during panto or other lively shows where we get some of the principals to do the pre-show 20/15/1/5 minute calls and the 'get yer bums on the seats' announcements which always seem to fit the bill.

"...it also gives them a prod that the show's about to start and they can settle down instead of chatting across the aisles or between rows with their mates......

One of the reasons I hate them. The pregnant pause between the announcement and the start of the show.

Much better to let the chatter fade with the house lights.

IMO...

Much better to let the chatter fade with the house lights.

IMO...

But does the chatter always fade?

Many times I have noticed the chatter continues until the first actor actually says something.

Cheers

Gerry

We don't do them. Never have in 40 years of existence, unless it's a touring production which insists on playing one (they hardly ever do). And if we did do them, I'd be pushing like hell to get rid of them - hate them.

So how do theatres who don't make a pre show announcement inform the audience to turn off their mobile phones and not to take flash photos etc.?

Cheers

Gerry

So how do theatres who don't make a pre show announcement inform the audience to turn off their mobile phones and not to take flash photos etc.?

In our tiny theatre we have a LED display thing that does that, advises of the next show, reminds the patrons about the bar and ice creams, "like us on Facebook", if you're over 1.8m tall then mind your head on the lights, and anything else we think of. Goes off on the houselight fade. At interval it does a five minute countdown. People just tend to look at it when their partner / friend / whatever has nothing in the way of scintillating conversation.

Our pre-show announcement is called in the foyer as part of the "The house is now open" call, but our auditorium fills fast and we generally have most of our audience in the foyer before the house opens. I'm not a fan of calls in the auditorium unless properly integrated into the show, for reasons discussed above.

Cheers

Gerry

Audibly as a part of all of the pre-recorded foyer calls ; visibly via signage at the entrances to the auditorium.

Archived