What to do when fire alarm sounds

sleah

What I'm wondering is what is considered the safest thing to do. Obviously you would hit the DBO, assuming you have functioning houselights and/or emergency lighting but should you switch off the master power switch to the dimmers, assuming this won't take out house lights?

Personally I'd think not, unless you are certain it is an electrical fire. You would clearly need to keep power to the PA for safety announcements.

I know I've answered my own question, i.e. leave it on, but just wondered if anyone have a definitive answer or knows where I might find guidance, including other things such as when and when not to close doors etc.

Simon

In our venue (mostly a nightclub style venue/ bands etc.) All our sound, lighting and projectors etc. are on a separate main to the house lighting etc. When the fire alarm sounds (as it did at nearly 2am on a friday night a couple of weeks ago) All our (ents) power is automatically cut. We have no opportunity for PA announcements etc. Our first reaction is to power all the amps, desks etc. down so when the power is restored, there is less chance of damage. Then we have to test it all again before going home. :)

To be honest in the event of a fire the worst thing you could do is hit the DBO button. The last thing the panic striken cast and punters need is complete darkness. If you have got General Cover on a fader or memory somewhere then I would stick that up until houselights come on, cut any effects like haze/ smoke, strobes etc. and then exit via nearest exit.

Surley its best to kill power where its safe to do so as it will make things safer if there is an electrical fire even if not if when the fire is out the last thing you want is your desk comming live in a puddle of water and givving you a jolt. I'm sure I rember reading about some theaters that used an automatic power cut out for alot of the kit.

Well, if the alarm goes off, you obviously stop the show - but you certainly don't plunge the audience into darkness! It's always been my favoured method to have someone onstage direcing the evacuation and giving the people information, rather than a disembodied voice.

Some theatres (I believe Sadlers Wells, for example) have a means to dump the power at the main backstage exit, next to the drencher and safety curtain release. But that's definately for when the building has been emptied. If your theatre is not fitted with something like this, don't mess around turning power off, just get the hell out of the building.

Thanks for the replies.

Don't worry! I meant hit the DBO after the houselights were on, it would be rather unhelpful to plunge the place into darkness :)

Of course in the event of a real fire, the fire service will worry about making the place safe - that's what they do!

Simon

All emergency procedures should be considered as conditions of your entertainments licence. The licence holder WILL be held responsible should any statutory body investigate you.

Your skilled input into the thinking stage might help amd may be welcome.

First the alarm should be confirmed -over 80% of alarms are obvious or malicious false alarms.

If the decision to evacuate is made then the routes used must be chosen from those available so that danger is minimised. - If the fire is in the foyer then you cant get out that way!!!! At this stage code words may be used to alert staff without causing panic in the audience. Sister Francis was the code for fire at a RC venue I worked. Code words need to be KNOWN to 100% of the staff and security, and slightly obscure to the public.

If the reesponsible person has ordered evacuation then a live or recorded message should be broadcast to all people instructing them to procede to stewarded exits immediately. PA is helpful esp as it should interface already with the systems for the hearing impaired

Only your planning will tell you the precise actions for your venue. All the decisions are senior management decisions The implimentation will happen to all personel and should be rehearsed.

All details should be logged in writing.

See also what Brian contributes

I remember seeing a list of typical "coded" messages for this sort of situation, but can't find it now. Really intended for hospitals and airports etc.

It was things like a tannoy call for "Mr Armstrong to go to.." meant security, "Mr Hart" meant medical emergency, "Mr Burns" meant fire etc etc.

Any others, or am I just imagining this??

Bruce.

Many places have automatic isolation and houselight triggering.

For example, at one venue I volunteered at while at Uni, when the fire alarm went off the main dimmers were immediately isolated, and the flourescent emergency houselights came on.

Also a couple of 13A circuits were isolated as well - unfortunately this included the circuit the cans were originally powered from, which didn't really make sense. We started running the cans system from a different ring after a couple of alarms, as it makes no sense to lose all communication!

This system did cause us problems though, as when the fire alarm was switched off after investigation by the fire wardens/fire service the flourescents switched back off but the dimmers stayed isolated as you'd expect, leaving the house in darkness.

Just as Security were letting the punters back in...

We did eventually talk Security into letting the crew in and holding the punters back for a couple of minutes while we brought the system back up!

Just as an addition to this discussion,

I believe for temporary installations (conference in hotel room, lighting system on temporary mains) the power should be knocked off if it's safe to do so before leaving the building. This helps the fire brigade in the event of a real fire (Large quantities of water and three phase mains don't get on with each other). There is also an argument that leaving a load of lamps burning away unsupervised may in fact cause a fire. A little bit embarrassing if it was a false alarm in the first place.

F - Wyg

Just as an addition to this discussion,

I believe for temporary installations (conference in hotel room, lighting system on temporary mains) the power should be knocked off if it's safe to do so before leaving the building. This helps the fire brigade in the event of a real fire (Large quantities of water and three phase mains don't get on with each other). There is also an argument that leaving a load of lamps burning away unsupervised may in fact cause a fire. A little bit embarrassing if it was a false alarm in the first place.

F - Wyg

:) I've never known one set on fire, so why would they just 'coz they're "unsupervised" ?

Archived