Cheapest paint to protect steel?

solex

Hello all,

I posted a few weeks ago about building standard flats with a steel box section frame. I've done that and built what I needed, but one thing I want to change is what we painted them with.

At the time we needed to get it sorted quick so bought a tin of hammer right. But it is both very costly and over kill. We just need to rust proof the metal from being sat around in a dry space, not outside in the elements (the wood paneling would get ruined before the metal would rust enough!). Does anyone know a low cost way we can paint / coat them? Ideally it would be something we can put in our compressors spray gun to speed up the process.

Best,

Sol

Just checked and it still seems to be available.

I've got some in my workshop, it's great stuff albeit very expensive. (And surprisingly heavy - the can weighs about twice as much as you'd expect.)

It was recommended to me for painting over welds, where the corrosion is much more aggressive. Too expensive to use on more than isolated patches though.

I acquired a load of small form style filling cabinets with 2" deep drawers for my garage and they were a mix of grey and green paint/powder coat

I used hammerite garage door paint ( not as expensive as the other stuff I think) and applied with a small roller. It has stood up well with garage use

The steel work in our rig seems to have had red lead and black emulsion to finish

Archived