Mixing desk with built in sound card

Crash_Override

I'm tried google but didn't get any good answers.

I would like to know are there more digital or analog mixing desks out there that have built in sound card like Midas Venice U16?

We are using QLab2 for our shows. I like how easy it is to just plug in the USB to desk and have everything run through the desk. At the moment I use RME Fireface UCX and lots of cables between our analog desk.

If you are using Dante for your digital core there is Virtual Sound Card (a license comes bundled with a lot of the Yamaha Dante gear) which allows you to plug your computer into your Dante network and it turns your network port into a basically a 64in 64out sound card. Similar exists for AVB.

With the correct ethersound gear you can do a similar thing for that digi-core.

Allen and Heath QU series; Behringer X32; Soundcraft expression or performer with usb card, all have multi track usb io.

Allen and Heath do the Zed series with 2ch I/o depending on what you want.

Dante is great but seems a bit excessive, Mac? :)

There's a lot of Behringer Xenyx desks with USB in at the cheaper end of the market if it's just stereo / two-channel playback. To get multiple channel playback you usually either have to go digital or expensive.

Mackie also do analogue desks with USB. ProFX range

Dave

The M32 is an X32 in a posh frock (plus better faders and mic preamps). Very nice but three times the price is a big premium to pay. OTOH the X32 is a bloody good desk so maybe it's the X32 that's too cheap not the M32 that's too expensive when it gets you the next (usually very expensive) step up in exotic tech?

And they both have 32/32 USB I/O as standard

Its not excessive if they already own a board with dante already there, which is what mac was suggesting.

I'm sure Mac can speak for himself, but I'm genuinely not sure where the whole "digi-core" concept has come in, as he was the first one to mention it? The licensing fees for Dante are fairly high, hence why desks with Dante are fairly pricey. The one the OP mentioned has 8x8 I/o - something that the Behringer and Midas offerings do easily.

Would you like to make any good suggestions of your own, George, or are you just having a go at me for the sake of it? :)

Its not excessive if they already own a board with dante already there, which is what mac was suggesting.

I'm sure Mac can speak for himself, but I'm genuinely not sure where the whole "digi-core" concept has come in, as he was the first one to mention it? The licensing fees for Dante are fairly high, hence why desks with Dante are fairly pricey. The one the OP mentioned has 8x8 I/o - something that the Behringer and Midas offerings do easily.

Would you like to make any good suggestions of your own, George, or are you just having a go at me for the sake of it? :)

Oh come on david, id never beat you in a competition of having a go at people, and Yep would love to. I like the qu range, the qu 16 is about 1400 quid list.

I used Dante as an example - the OP did not really give an example of size required, merely that they wanted a desk with "built in soundcard like Midas Venice U16" - but many desks at many different price points have option slots (or inbuilt digi-cores ability) - I merely wanted to raise that it is a possibility. As Dante is the protocol I knew best, it was written from that point of view but I did mention AVB and Ethersound can also do it. I don't believe it can be done with AES50 (Midas/Behringer X32) without additional hardware on the PC, or with MADI over Cat5 (Soundcraft)

Our theatre group has just jumped on the X32 bandwagon, and I specified a Dante card in the desk, mostly as a toe-dipping exercise, but in early experiments, I'm really like the ease of making Dante go, the flexibility, and the removal of many boxes and cables. Yet to use it in anger, but I'm feeling fairly confident about giving it a go live quite soon...

One of the things I really like is that Ethernet goes a fair dsitance, and can be made to go further and catry more stuff with not too much effort. A USB cable means the computer needs to be right next to the X32.

Archived