Interval Announcements

I recently mentioned to one of our stage management team that the interval announcement exhorting the audience to get out of the bar should say "please return to your seats as the performance will continue in 5 minutes" whereas she says "please take your seats as the performance will recommence in 5 minutes".

My argument being that we were about to do Act 2 and not start again with Act 1. She took it somewhat personally and is now bombarding me with dictionary definitions which mostly seem to apply to war recommencing.

Has anyone else come across this and do you use a different version which would keep us both happy (and get the punters back in on time)?

We may have to look at installing a buzzer instead...

I recently mentioned to one of our stage management team that the interval announcement exhorting the audience to get out of the bar should say "please return to your seats as the performance will continue in 5 minutes" whereas she says "please take your seats as the performance will recommence in 5 minutes".

My argument being that we were about to do Act 2 and not start again with Act 1. She took it somewhat personally and is now bombarding me with dictionary definitions which mostly seem to apply to war recommencing.

Has anyone else come across this and do you use a different version which would keep us both happy (and get the punters back in on time)?

We may have to look at installing a buzzer instead...

I'm with 'continue' rather than 'recommence'.

Oddly I'd disagree with Paul. At posher events I suspect you are more likely to find pedantists all of whom will quote the Oxford "Begin or cause to begin again". The same people who shop in Waitrose who campaigned on ten items or fewer, rather than ten items or less!

Edit to add: I do agree with Paul that it's hardly something to lose sleep over!

Thinking back a few years to when I had to last make announcements I went along with "Ladies and gentlemen the 2nd act of this evenings performance will begin in 5 minutes". I too won't be losing sleep to find I did it wrong.

• 6 months later...

Our pre-recorded announcements go with "Bydd y perfformiad yn parhau mewn tri/dau/un munud".

(Or 'continue' in the English version http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I use some pre-recorded spiels intended for home cinema use, that I bought years ago, probably being used in violation of its copyright. It uses an authoritative American voice, which jars nicely in sunny New Zealand. The phrase used is: "Ladies and gentlemen, the show starts in x minut(s)", fed to auditorium, foyer and green room. All done with a timed cue-list, of course.

Archived