Vocals causing clipping & amp cuts out

Toshy27

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does if behave the same way if you just plug the tops in on their own?

I'm worried that the impedance mismatch you had before may have damaged the amp permanently , despite the cut out. Sounds from your first post, as if you were running for quite some time with a load on the amp that it was just not designed to cope with. :(

No, I've only had the amp a month and have hardly use it so doubt it's damaged. Am thinking possibly faulty from new

Um, if everything but the vocals now sounds alright (if I've read this right) could it be the mic at fault? What sort of mic is it? Clipping on vocals could be a damaged diaphragm or, if it's a condenser, a phantom power issue.

Tried different mics. SM58 wireless and wired. All different channels. No phantom power required.

Does if behave the same way if you just plug the tops in on their own?

I'm worried that the impedance mismatch you had before may have damaged the amp permanently , despite the cut out. Sounds from your first post, as if you were running for quite some time with a load on the amp that it was just not designed to cope with. :(

Yes, it does it just running the tops. I don't understand it. I just cant see how a single voice can force it to cut out like this. Thomann are now being difficult (shock horror) and refuse to accept the possibility that the amp might be faulty. I was talking to a PA guy at GAK this morning who said he couldn't see why this was happening. I do take your point though, I did run the speakers the wrong way round for 3 gigs as I didn't understand the 2+/2- wiring issue. Just thought I'd connected them wrong. So possibly has damaged the amp. That said. Connected correctly, music sounds great. Not sure how loud it is as not in a position to crank it up in a rehearsal room but the sound quality was rich. no crackles, pops or clips. Till the vocals start, then its cut-out city. Only way to stop it is to have master low, gain at zero and stand 6 inches off the mic. Vocals are so low in the mix it's ridiculous. So frustrating.... :-(

You don't say where you are but you would probably benefit from another sound engineer having a look over your shoulder. This is either faulty kit or a set up mistake and it is very difficult to see which of those it is from the information you have given.

This is why I asked some questions earlier about the desk setup, we know that originally there was an issue with the setup on the amped signal so by process of illumination I wanted to know if there was an issue else where. Toshy could you look back at my comment on the previous page and answer those questions so we can narrow it down to being an amp fault or not?

My link

Not my desk but at least you can clearly see dials, options etc.

Gain is on minimum settingNo compressionEQ all neutral (have tried taking everything completely down, no difference)No fxNo aux Channel fader at zeroMaster at -5

Sound eng helped me set up levels for each channel. Never had issue and only really ever change master volume. Nothing's been knocked in transit. Mixer works perfectly on old rig.

I was talking to a PA guy at GAK this morning who said he couldn't see why this was happening. I do take your point though, I did run the speakers the wrong way round for 3 gigs as I didn't understand the 2+/2- wiring issue. Just thought I'd connected them wrong. So possibly has damaged the amp. That said. Connected correctly, music sounds great. Not sure how loud it is as not in a position to crank it up in a rehearsal room but the sound quality was rich. no crackles, pops or clips. Till the vocals start, then its cut-out city. Only way to stop it is to have master low, gain at zero and stand 6 inches off the mic. Vocals are so low in the mix it's ridiculous. So frustrating.... :-(

Can you borrow another amp to test with?. I'm as sure as I can be from a distance that is where your problem is & how the damage was caused. To be honest, you can't really blame Thomann for not wanting to exchange the amp - they may even have read this thread!

Can I suggest that you check with Peavey (or a Peavey dealership ( http://peavey.com/dealerlocator/ )) what the preferred arrangement is for your particular speakers. This should then cover all variables such as crossovers, Low-pass and pin connection. Then you should have a load that your amp can handle. Then check that the microphones are genuine not clones so that the sound handling you expect from a sm58 is really there with your mic. After that there is a risk that something has been cooked while the speakers were used in a previous arrangement. That the sound cuts off is ominous to me.

Do you have friends locally who could lend you an amp for a rehearsal that would allow you to sub out the suspect amp?

Can I suggest that you check with Peavey (or a Peavey dealership ( http://peavey.com/dealerlocator/ )) what the preferred arrangement is for your particular speakers. This should then cover all variables such as crossovers, Low-pass and pin connection. Then you should have a load that your amp can handle. Then check that the microphones are genuine not clones so that the sound handling you expect from a sm58 is really there with your mic. After that there is a risk that something has been cooked while the speakers were used in a previous arrangement. That the sound cuts off is ominous to me.

Do you have friends locally who could lend you an amp for a rehearsal that would allow you to sub out the suspect amp?

How does everything sound through headphones? Is the sound being sent to the amp good?

Mac

I was talking to a PA guy at GAK this morning who said he couldn't see why this was happening. I do take your point though, I did run the speakers the wrong way round for 3 gigs as I didn't understand the 2+/2- wiring issue. Just thought I'd connected them wrong. So possibly has damaged the amp. That said. Connected correctly, music sounds great. Not sure how loud it is as not in a position to crank it up in a rehearsal room but the sound quality was rich. no crackles, pops or clips. Till the vocals start, then its cut-out city. Only way to stop it is to have master low, gain at zero and stand 6 inches off the mic. Vocals are so low in the mix it's ridiculous. So frustrating.... :-(

Can you borrow another amp to test with?. I'm as sure as I can be from a distance that is where your problem is & how the damage was caused. To be honest, you can't really blame Thomann for not wanting to exchange the amp - they may even have read this thread!

Speakers are all fine and have been tested on another amp. Thomann have agreed to take the amp back this morning so will see what they say when they test it

I've downloaded the spec sheet from Peavey and emailed their support and had confirmation re set up. All good now re speakon wiring and connection sequence etc. Interestingly, they recommended an amp 1.6 - 2.5 times the speaker load

Mics are definitely genuine and not clones. All bought from reputable dealers. Thankfully I have my old rig still (amp and speakers) which I'm going back to whilst I get this sorted.

How does everything sound through headphones? Is the sound being sent to the amp good?

Mac

Yes, all sounds fine through headphones and also through (powered) monitors.

While it may eat into the profits (so does the kit breaking down) take a professional sound engineer with you to a rehearsal and a gig or two, and TAKE his advice. Before the spring and summer season happens someone may be available to assist you and trouble shoot for you in a real gig situation.

While it may eat into the profits (so does the kit breaking down) take a professional sound engineer with you to a rehearsal and a gig or two, and TAKE his advice. Before the spring and summer season happens someone may be available to assist you and trouble shoot for you in a real gig situation.

Yep, good advice :-)

Archived